Hayward S240 Sand Filter Vari-Flo Control valve assembly Replacement

Jun 18, 2016
Bells, TN
I got my TF-100 today. My CC is 2. I'd like to get started on a slam however, this part on my filter has a significant leak and running the pump non stop is resulting in leaked water dropping the waterline about an inch in a day. I found a replacement part on Amazon for between for 120 dollars. It seems futile to start slamming until this filter leak is taken care of.

Hayward SPX0710X32 Side Mount Valve Replacement for Hayward Multiport and Sand Filter Valves

Does anyone know if it would be wise to go ahead and order this part on the internet? The pool store has a price of $206 that will have to be ordered. If I do order it is it fairly simple to disassemble and reinstall this part?
2016-06-22 14.48.42_1466625279295_resized.jpg

Yeah, I wanted to post the zoom out zoom in, but had run out of alloted space for attachments after the zoom in only. How do I get around that?

- - - Updated - - -

It's just a good shot of showing the pinhole leaks in the plastic. It's just under the multiport valve control. Soon as I figure out how to add another photo I will.

20160617_193206_zpskufrqwkf.jpg

2016-06-22%2014.49.35_1466625279916_resized_zpsx38ztfql.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible to SLAM by running on recirculate instead of filter or would that be stupid? The leak is not so bad on recirculate.

Looks like you will need a new valve if the leave is not at a joint.

You can start the SLAM on recirculate to start getting everything killed, but obviously you need to filter to remove the dead stuff to pass the clear water criteria.

Oh, yes, very easy (on my setup). I was glad I did it too. My old valve was very old, and I did not realize how smoothly a new valve operates. I should have replaced it years ago.

Looking at your pic, you have 2 hand-tightening unions and 3 PVC fittings. The 2 unions to the filter are easy, at most a strap wrench to get them loose. The PVC connections have to be cut and replaced. This is where it gets tricky for you.

Other people, please chime in if you have any secrets for making this easier. The pump side connection has lots of room to cut out an old section and solvent weld in new pipe and fittings. But the return and waste pipes have very little room before the elbows. Not sure, but the return side may have to be replaced up to the two unions. The waste side can be cut below the elbow and coupled there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am a total amateur. My husband is even less technically inclined than I am and is currently into lawnmower repairs anyway. I feel like we are in over our heads. I did get the replacement part. The labor aspect is overwhelming. I’ll try to break it down and give it a DIY try anyway if there is a chance someone can direct me from here. I prob don’t have the right tools or supplies. If the remedy is cheap and easy enough I would be proud of myself for pulling it together, but there are only 24 hours in a day. I’m considering just calling a plumber. I’m just gonna post the whole setup to illustrate the additional problematic observations after running on recirculate all night.

2016-06-23%2013.59.25_zpsabgecp5a.jpg

1. Line goes to a weather proof swimming pool transformer.
2. Line goes to another breaker box or junction box of some sort.
2016-06-23%2014.08.19_zpsua7bcbck.jpg

3. Line goes to an outlet? Patched through I guess and then to the pump. Outlet doesn’t work either.
2016-06-23%2014.01.19_zpsqh6lh5rl.jpg

4. Three areas of water collection from a leak, each marked with a 4.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-06-23%2014.03.05_zpsg4r95wlm.jpg

5. Leaks that I hope are just from the plumbing above the filter basket contraption. I don’t know what it’s called. Emailed Hayward asking for a pdf of the
manual. No response yet.

2016-06-23%2014.03.50_zpsfjrijeae.jpg

6. Did not see or feel any water collection on this whole area of piping in view here. Pretty sure left side is skimmers.
7. Pretty sure right side is for main drain. I’ve tinkered with them and it appears to be so based on pool suction after turning the valves. Handle
is broken and is a total pain to turn.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-06-23%2014.05.06_zpsjhmi6u5o.jpg

8. The joints or unions that are marked are leaking or collecting water from a leak above.
9. This area just looks a little damp and dirty on the bottom side of where the white meets the brown.
10. This is a pipe that runs the waste to French drains somehow. I DO NOT want this on there anymore. I’d much rather connect a hose and route it away farther.

- - - Updated - - -

2016-06-23%2014.05.46_zpsgxjhyef7.jpg

11. These are the visible portions of the French drains. One up top, one below. Dumb and dumber.
2016-06-23%2014.06.17_zpsvgzscrit.jpg

12. This is where that bottom drain pours out onto the concrete in front of our sunroom.
13. This is the other side of the pool with a drain in the grass waaaaayyyy down there. I ran the backwash and my attention was on the sight glass, right, so when I look away I see all of this disgusting water headed straight for the pool. I’m just furious.

What a mess! I'm starting to think the previous owners were just like whatever, cover it up and turn it off, not my pool anymore, not my problem and everything busted over the winter. Or maybe it is all just really old. Driving me crazy and my kids just don't get it. They want instant party pool. Yeah right.

That is a lot of info. Small leaks and damp areas on the pipes are no big deal compared to the big leak from the valve in the original photo. You should be able to find user manuals and parts diagrams online without asking Hayward. The waste line is easy to cut, remove, and replace with a collapsable backwash hose you can roll up when not in use.

Some questions...

What is the pump model # (near #4)?
Does the pump motor make a lot of noise, and does it get very hot to the touch? It looks pretty old and they don't last forever.

Model # is SP2610X15
It's pretty noisy. It's hot but I can rest my hand on it and let it set for a while without it feeling like it's too hot. Another user sent me a link to the pump manual. The filter manual is a lot harder to get.

Well, I guess read the various threads here on advice for fixing vs replacing, upgrading, pump sizing etc. Lots of opinions. Personally, I prefer a less powerfull single speed pump or a variable speed pump. But it depends on many factors, including number of skimmers, drains and returns, etc.

I was able to find a user manual for the S200 filter, which I think is almost identical to the S240. I also found the parts list for the S240.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.