New Pump Recommendations

pool60

Jun 23, 2007
Alabama
My pump is going up. The motor has been making strange noises for about a month, and now when i look in the window, it's only about half full of water. Any recommendations? My old pump is a Franklin Electric 1 HP.

Welcome to TFP!

That probably means that there is an air leak on the suction side. The first place to look is the strainer basket cover, check and lubricate the O-ring. Also make sure the water level is high enough so that no air is being drawn into the skimmer.

Thanks. Glad I found this forum!

The water level is high enough. I cleaned and lubricated the o-ring. It looks like it's in good shape. It's still the same though. Actually, half full was an overstatement. There's just a big bubble on top that's about the size of the glass.

Thanks

pool60 said:
My pump is going up. The motor has been making strange noises for about a month, and now when i look in the window, it's only about half full of water. Any recommendations? My old pump is a Franklin Electric 1 HP.

Has your filter pressure changed at all? If so, how?

Is the air purge on the filter or the pump? Here are some pictures of my pump and filter. I did notice that the drain on the side of the pump was leaking, but I don't know how to get it off. It's just a rounded nub.

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 530
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 530
There is a guage near the top of the filter with PSI markings. I think I can actually see it in the picture coming out horizontally.

The air purge valve should be near the pressure gauge around the top of the filter.

If one of the drain plugs is leaking that is very likely the problem. It would allow air in while the pump was running and water out when the pump is off. It looks like you will probably have to drill it to get in a screw extractor and then replace it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pressure gauge isn't working. I've ordered a new one. There is no air purge valve near the gauge.

You know, I've been wanting to replace my pump anyway. It's near the window of my bedroom and it's always been too loud. I was thinking of buying one online. The one I have now is 1 HP. Should I just buy another one that's 1 HP, or are there other considerations? My filter is a Hayward S-220T. Any recommendations on brands/models?

pool60, I recommend you read the "lost your head" and other pump posts in the equipment forum. You may or may not need 1 hp. You may wish to consider a 2 speed pump.

Read those posts and you'll have a better feeling of where to head with this. Which pump you need will depend on your pool size, desired turnover and flow rate which will be stipulated by your pool plumbing and filter.

Thanks. I read a couple other posts with people who have the same pool I have, and it looks like 3/4 HP might be better. I couldn't find the "Lost your head" post. I was reading The "Pool pump "feet of head" quandry..." thread. He has almost the same specs as I do and 3/4 HP was what the pool brains recommended.

These are my specs: Filter Max 50 PSI, max 60 GPM, 2 inch PVC, with about 60-70ft between pump and pool in both directions. The thing that sold me was the amount of money that can be saved with a high performance pump. It sounds like they pay for themselves in energy savings after just a year or two. And hopefully they'll be a lot quieter than my old one.

I've pretty much decided on a Pentair Whisperflow or a Hayward Northstar. I'm still confused on whether I should get a max rated or full rated. Or 3/4 HP or 1 HP. Some of the posts are over my head. I'm hoping the rep from the online place I order from will be able to give me some advice.

I'll probably order tomorrow so I can get it and install it by this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks to everyone who helped me out.

A 1 HP uprated pump is identical to a 3/4 HP full rated pump from the same manufacture. They are simply labeled differently and sometimes the price is different as well.

Given your filter requirements, I would not go any higher than a 1/2 HP full rated (or 3/4 HP uprated) pump. If your willing to upgrade your filter, then there are other options. I generally do not like 1/2 HP pumps since they are usually not as efficient as 3/4 HP pumps but you really don't have a choice.

If you get a two speed, you can run it on low speed most of the time and not have to worry about the flow rate as much and save on electrical costs. Also, low speed is very quite and you won't even notice that the pump is on.

I think I see what you mean. The North Star and Whisper Flo have much higher GPMs than the cheaper pumps. The max GPM and PSI for my filter are too low for the 3/4 full rated right? Do they make a 2 speed 1/2 HP pump? I didn't see any Whisperflo or Northstars.

The Hayward SuperPump is a decent pump. This pump is generally rated as a up rated pump so if you go with a 1 HP uprated two speed (SP2607X102S), then you will really be getting a 3/4 HP full rated pump. It is a medium head pump which is probably better suited for your plumbing.

About how far is it from the pool to your equipment pad? I ask since a 3/4 HP full rated two speed Whisperflo (WFDS-24 or WFDS-3(2)) may also work for you but I want to check an approximate head loss before I suggest that.

Also, from the picture, I gather all of your plumbing is 1.5" correct?

With 2" plumbing everywhere, here is what my model tells me, note that these are approximations based upon measurements from other pools but should be fairly close.

3/4 HP Whisperflow - 75 GPM @ 46 feet of head and 11.4 PSI filter pressure
3/4 HP SuperPump - 56 GPM @ 26 feet of head and 6.5 PSI filter pressure
1/2 HP SuperPump - 52 GPM @ 23 feet of head and 5.8 PSI filter pressure

There may be other medium head pumps that would work as well, I just have not modeled those.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.