pool caulking- need advice!

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
So our pool company when finishing the pool last year just put this spongy Styrofoam like material between the cement and the coping and said we're 'good to go'. Now we are hearing that if we don't replace that with caulk then water gets in, freezes, and ruins the coping over time.
Question 1- is that true? can we just leave that stuff in or should we caulk?
Question 2- What product should we use. We get 100 different answers on what to use, what is best, etc. We want to do it ourselves as it is very expensive to have a contractor do it. Any experience with Vulkem products? Ultimate Pool Sealant? General advice?

Help me TFP...you're my only hope.

Other than you want to use a polyurethane caulk there is not much We can tell you. There are different brands all over the country.

I would find an experienced guy to do this. Be there when he does it. Take good notes. You are going to have to do it again in 3 to 5 years so think of the extra cost as an educational expense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.