New guy, old pool

Jun 22, 2016
Austin, Texas
Hello all, found this site looking for info on restarting the pool after 3 years. Hoping to learn to diy the maintenance and make some new friends :)

Pool is from the 70's, been working on it for 2 weeks. Much better than when I started

James

Hello and welcome to TFP! You're in the right place for help. Looks like you're in the tail-end of clearing that algae. Hopefully the TFP "SLAM" page (link below) is helping you out. If you have any questions, please let us know. Nice to have you with us on this blistering hot day. :sun:

I just took it over yesterday (found this place today). Had a guy working on it, but he stopped showing up...Other than not telling me, not too mad. He did a lot of work on it.
Just read the SLAM page, looks like I gotta figure out how to use this test kit.

:goodjob: Perfect! A couple foot-stompers from the SLAM page:
- Before increasing FC over 10, test/adjust pH to about 7.2
- Verify current CYA (outside, sun at back)
- Adjust FC to match the corresponding CYA as seen on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Welcome to the forum!

:goodjob: Perfect! A couple foot-stompers from the SLAM page:
- Before increasing FC over 10, test/adjust pH to about 7.2
- Verify current CYA (outside, sun at back)
- Adjust FC to match the corresponding CYA as seen on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below)

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Went to get bleach and poolguy was here :rolleyes: He added 4 lbs backing soda and some liquid chlorine.

went out and tested a few minutes ago

FC-11
CC-2
Ph-7.5
TA-110
CH-320
CYA- calling it 28, spot went away when tube was full

looks like I need to add just over a quart of bleach

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Affirmation?

Long story short, pool unused for 3 years, hired guy to clean and open, did a buncha work then got flakey so I took over

SLAM underway

from introduction thread

6pm-062216
Went to get bleach and poolguy was here :rolleyes: He added 4 lbs backing soda and some liquid chlorine.

went out and tested a few minutes ago

FC-11
CC-2
Ph-7.5
TA-110
CH-320
CYA- calling it 28, spot went away when tube was full

looks like I need to add just over a quart of bleach

8pm 062216
Target FC was 12, tested 14. Hoping a little high is better than low.

10 pm 062216
10:00 pm-FC-11 added ~80 oz bleach

7:30 am, FC-12 :) added 40 oz to keep ahead of it

this morning

been reading a lot and think I'm on the right track, but some affirmation would be helpful for my psyche :)

Thanks for your time,
James

Re: Affirmation?

You've got it. Take a picture everyday at the same time. POP - Pool owner patience. That delicious soup might take 7-10 days to clear up. Brush at least once if not twice a day.

Now that you're maintaining that FC level, don't forget to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you haven't forgotten any other tasks. Also watch your filter psi and backwash when it increases by 25%. Like Mr Bruce said ... have some patience. The bleach will do it's job when it's "maintained" at that SLAM level.

Now that you're maintaining that FC level, don't forget to review the SLAM page periodically to ensure you haven't forgotten any other tasks. Also watch your filter psi and backwash when it increases by 25%. Like Mr Bruce said ... have some patience. The bleach will do it's job when it's "maintained" at that SLAM level.

I'm on it :D This pool has been a thorn in my side for years. Hoping to change that now that grandkid has learned to swim. I can be patient, as long as I know it's making progress.
Thanks for all the help,
James

Perfect. The bleach will do it's thing while you continue to monitor filter psi and sweep/brush each day. At some point, the changes may seem slow and it can be tough to wait it out, but hang in there. You don't want to stop SLAMming until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. At some point, the water should reach a point of clarity you probably never knew possible.

Your FC is holding surprisingly well. It does appear that step is getting more visible. Stick with it. It just takes time. You should be ready for the 4th holiday weekend. The only other thing I might recommend is checking your CYA again today, just to ensure the FC matches the current CYA. Remember to test CYA outside under the sun, but with the sun at your back so your torso shades the tube when looking at the dot. Have a good day. It's going to be another hot one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support