Hoping some experts can help me guesstimate!!

Jun 11, 2015
O'Fallon, MO
Good Morning! OK, so I have an AG intex 24x52" metal frame pool. It was supposed to be taken down & reinstalled this spring due to issues getting it up level last year, but my kids couldn't help me after all so.....we didn't cover it for winter & by the time I knew we weren't taking it down, it was a murky mess full of tadpoles. In 36 hours, the tadpoles are almost gone (at least 25 nets full lol) & the pool has significantly improved. Here's my problem-I ran out of the FC reagent. It's supposed to arrive Friday. I managed to come up to a dark yellow on the test thingy that tests cl & ph from 0. My CYA was under 20 so I started with borrowing 3 pucks from a friend, then added 6 gallons of shock level bleach so far plus some CYA. Here are my numbers this morning:

FC ?? dark yellow on the twin tester thing-darker than what it reads by about 3 shades if that helps.
PH 7.2
TA 220
CH 200
CYA 38

For pool school, I guessed at 7 FC with a goal of 16 shock level & then plugged in my # for the rest. It said to add 120 oz of bleach plus some borax.

Here are my questions:

Does this sound right on poolmath? Or should I add way more bleach?

I have about 1/4 of the CYA still in a sock in skimmer. Should I take that out or let the rest dissolve?

Thanks-the picture is this morning & it went from a murky brown to this lighter green. Didn't think to take a picture of how bad it was before the SLAM started! :(

13511061_1042965749072647_5169532030232134169_n.jpg

You don't want your CYA any higher while you SLAM, so I would take the sock with CYA out of the pool.

Please add your pool size to your signature and the size/type of pump and filter. Depending on your pool size, we can give you a recommendation on how much bleach to add while you wait for your reagents (FAS-DPD test that uses powder right/) to come in.

I'm not an expert in installing AGP, but I have heard that uneven pools can be dangerous.

So, I would recommended that you add 1/2 jug of bleach a day. Wal-Mart has 8.25% in the laundry section and 10% in the pool/seasonal section which was priced cheaper at 2.50 a jug. Check out the dates on the 10% as I've seen some old stuff mixed with the newer stuff.

Keep pump running 24/7, brush daily, and backwash when your filter gets 25% higher than the clean pressure. Sand filters work best when dirty, so don't backwash too soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.