"Slider" broke on Automatic Pool Cover - need wisdom

Jun 22, 2016
Livermore
Hi ya folks! First time posting to this forum. Hoping somebody can help me sanity check a problem that just happened.

We have a rectangular pool with a canvas "automatic cover". There is a plastic "slider" that is on the leading edge of the cover attached to the track and the boom. One of those just snapped last night after the cover rolled over our bromine floater and got jammed up.

Anyway, I'm wondering how difficult it is to replace the slider. From what I can tell, the slider seems to be designed such that the rope moves through the slider. In other words, the slider just doesn't push into the track it appears to be fed down through the rope and onto the track.

Do I have this right? I'll try to attach a picture of the non-broken one, but it's difficult to tell how the slider actually attaches to the track from the photo. The broken one still has a piece inside the track and I can slide it back and forth but it won't come out with pliers. This is why I believe it to be somehow attached to the rope.

I suppose a more generic question might be: does anybody have any experience replacing these sliders and -- if so -- can you share some thoughts on what is involved?

I'm not the dumbest guy on the planet and I do have some mechanical skills, but I wasn't sure I wanted to take the entire cover off the track to replace this. Was considering calling a service, but thought I'd try here first!

Many thanks!

Welcome to TFP. I am not well versed with this but we'll get you Bumped to see if someone can help.

I think the slider is just bolted on. You should be able to lift it up and out of the track. Looks like they also have a screw through the fabric attached to the slider. Mine has two screws holding on to a bracket attached to my cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.