One week into a SLAM

Jun 16, 2016
Suitland, MD
I started a SLAM a week ago after finding this website. The green swamp cleared up in about 3 days and for the last 3 or 4 days I have pretty nice looking water, however it is not crystal clear yet (it is very, very close). Tonight I am going to do the OCLT and see what that looks like. We had a ton of rainfall last night and after it ended I tested the water using the K-2006 kit. The kit is new to me as well as the website so I hope I am getting accurate results.

FC 9.5 (added bleach last night and this morning FC is 15)
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 110
CH 160
CYA 30

I guess my question is how do I know when the water is clear enough? And do I need to make any other adjustments to get the water to crystal clear?

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Things that can speed up a SLAM are being vigilant about maintaining that FC at 15, brushing the pool often being sure to pay special attention to crevices like lights, return, ladders, etc.

Also, running your pump and filter 24/7 and cleaning it often also. Dead algae really clogs a filter fast.

Best of luck

If you didn't already know, you can use the 10 ml testing method with your K-2006 to save on reagents.

10ml sample with ONE heaping scoop of powder. Count drops until clear and multiply 0.5 (divide by 2).

Once you pass the SLAM criteria, you can also consider adding a little amount of DE to your sand filter to enhance it's filtration capability as noted on the TFP Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter page.

If you didn't already know, you can use the 10 ml testing method with your K-2006 to save on reagents.

Once you pass the SLAM criteria, you can also consider adding a little amount of DE to your sand filter to enhance it's filtration capability as noted on the TFP Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter page.

I figured out I could test with the 10 ml after quite a few of the 24 ml testings. Ran out of reagent on Sunday and ordered new. I am still using two scoops but will change to one heaping, thanks.

Also, I have already decided to add some DE to the filter and have it in my head that this will be the best year this pool has seen in many, many years.

I have been using a skimmer sock and this morning was the first morning that it wasn't tinted green. It was a little brown but I think that was because of everything that washed in with the huge rain storm last night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.