losing water when pump is on filter

May 23, 2009
I have been losing water when pump is on-overnight on filter, lost about 3 inches. I don't see any leaks around the pool, but there is water coming from the waste pipe when on filter. After reading some other posts, I checked the spider gasket in the valve, looks good-no cracks, not coming loose or anything. I did notice that the handle has been hard to turn and when I took the cover off the valve I notice that the slots on the underside of the cover and the diverter don't line up (when the handle is in the filter position, the opening in the diverter is askew to the slots on the cover-should they line up? What else could be causing me to lose water through waste pipe when filtering?
Thanks for your help.

Cindy

By slots, do you mean the ports that are bordered by the spider-gasket? These are not on the underside of the cover on mine--they are in the valve body (which is UNDERNEATH the cover--is that what you meant?) Terminology aside, the diverter walls should line up with the radial parts of the spider gasket so as to seal them. If they don't, it will leak to waste as well as in other ways. Perhaps your handle, or its shaft, has lost its orientation because of the force needed to rotate it. See if there is any play between the handle and the diverter.

I once replaced a spider gasket and put the valve handle on the shaft 180° out-of-phase (pointing up when it should have been down). That got very weird.

Hi, Cindy,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I have never taken one apart but we've got a few real experts on multiport valves that will be along soon to help. BTW, very concise accurate post. The experts should be able to narrow it down quickly.

Thanks for all the great info. I did replace the spider gasket and I'm not losing water anymore :-D
I still have lots of air coming from the return lines though-mostly in the line farthest from the pump. Pressure is good and I can't see any obvious leaks above ground. My pool is 16x32 inground surrounded by a concrete deck. Any ideas?

Cindy

Cindy, does your pump have a clear lid? If so, can you see air bubbles in it? You may have an air leak on the suction side, there's an article in Pool School on leak detection which tells you how to check the various joints and unions to see if air is being drawn in them :-D Please let us know what you find and we'll help you get it taken care of 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.