Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump Running Very Loud

Jun 22, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Hi,

I purchased a Hayward Max-Flo VS pump just over a year ago, used it for the summer/fall, and stored it indoors for the winter. When I reinstalled the pump in late May of this year and started it up after priming it was much louder than before. Here is a video of the pump running. I'm not sure how well it catches the volume, however it's definitely much, much louder than before. The pump operates without any sign of diminished flow.

Would the board members care to offer a diagnosis? Is it fair to guess some bearings got wet and rusted up over the winter? If that's the case I'm hoping to validate this before I take the motor apart.

I've investigated the warranty and understand it's only for one year, so I don't expect much help from Hayward, though given this pump ran for only ~5 months before developing this noise I may see what they have to say.

Disappointed with my very loud pump,

Barry

Welcome to TFP :)

Does you pump not fill all the way up, I think that may be a problem with how much sound it's making.. has the pump basket always looked like that

Thanks!

The pump does fill all the way up, it just tends to drop a bit when my filter gets dirty. In any case, the water level in the pump basket has no bearing on the sound being made, it's the same regardless of the water level in the basket.

Barry

I think I may take the pump apart and inspect the impeller blade, make sure that isn't causing the noise for some reason, and if it looks good I'll take apart the motor to inspect the bearings. Any sage advice before I proceed from the forum members?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.