Paint / Plaster Issue?

luna87

May 17, 2015
Munster, IN
You'll have to excuse my ignorance as I'm really not even sure of the construction of my pool. It is a freeform kidney shaped diving pool. I believe the sides may be fiberglass or a hybrid of fiberglass and concrete. The sides of the pool are very smooth but have what seem to be random sized and placed convex circles (if that helps diagnose the construction) The floor of the pool is certainly some kind of rougher material; concrete or perhaps plaster?

I believe the pool is original to the house (1988) and I've only owned it for 2 years, it was previously foreclosed on so I dont know anything about the history. I noticed last year that the blue finish of the pool floor seemed to be fading to a dark almost black color but it was hardly noticeable. This year a good majority of the finish on the deep end of the pool near the drain is very discolored and very noticeable. To my uneducated eye it looks as though the paint on the bottom of the pool is just fading away. There are a few spots around the wall of the pool where the paint is faded or chipped away (small spots), and the pool floor on the shallow end and even along the sloped walls of the deep end looks great with no discoloration.

So...

What is wrong with the finish on the deep end of the pool? Thoughts on the construction of the pool? What likely needs to be done to repair the finish and what is involved?

as a side note - when I first started noticing this issue last year I did some reading and though my calcium hardness may be too low and eating away the plaster. I have a decent test kit that I am able to consistently confirm an appropriate calcium hardness for what I believe is an at least partially plaster pool.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Do you have metals in you water? Can you post a picture and your water test numbers, it will help us understand or try to figure out what is going on :)

I haven't been able to get a good picture of the area in question since its on the deep end and there has been enough wind to prevent the surface of the pool from being still enough. I did test all of my water levels this weekend and I think everything is in a pretty good range.

After reading the links provided I'm still not sure what to think. The pattern of the discoloration almost looks as if it would align with roller or trowel marks, perhaps this is some kind of staining? Without testing for metals I can't be sure there aren't any but I don't have any reason to believe there is.

Chlorine - 12.4 ppm (just shocked night before)
PH - 7.6
CH - 340ppm
CYA - 55ppm

I don't know much about the construction of the pool other than I think it has a plaster bottom and perhaps concrete or fiberglass sides. I believe it to be about 30,000 gallons, kidney shaped in ground pool. 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump and a Hayward perflex EC75 DE filter. House was built in 1988 and I believe the pool to be original but dont know for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.