TF-100 is on its way...and I'll be looking for your guidance soon

Oct 26, 2014
Plano/Texas
Hello folks!

I'm writing in from Plano, Texas

I've ordered my TF-100 test kit and am waiting to get started on managing my pool myself.

Its the first time I've ever had a pool so I guess I will be starting from zero

Reading through the posts I've seen you all help so many beginners - and I'll request your help too.

Cheers!

Welcome!!!

How does the pool look now?

Thanks for the welcome!

The pool was looking clear (but definitely not sparkling) on Thursday last week but deteriorated over a weekend of swimming to a slightly cloudy state.

I have been struggling with an algae problem over the past few weeks - seem to get it in control ..and then slip back, so am looking to do this the right way once my test kit arrives.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

+1 what marian paroo said. Dont skim "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, know it and understand it. It ties into your test kit and is the basis for what we teach.

Thank you all for the welcome!

Algae now showing in the pool..so the work is cut out

I'm starting off now with adding a gallon of 10% bleach (just stocked up with 9 gallons from 2 different stores).

Will pour 1 gallon into the pool, in one shot, in front of the return
..and will repeat "1 gallon bleach and brush 2 times a day" until the kit arrives.

Kit ETA is Thursday. That looks like good timing - so that I can focus on SLAMing the pool starting Friday evening

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here we are....could you please review these numbers for me?

Pool showing hints of algae.

I added a gallon of 10% approximately 24 hours ago. Haven't added anything today.

FC: 1

CC: 0.5

TA: 80

CYA: 0 (Even when the tube was full to the brim, the black dot was visible. Sun was just setting at the time)

CH: 475

PH: 8​

Why don't you try plugging those numbers into PoolMath and let us know what you get. (Assuming you did your homework above!) For TA and CH put those numbers in both the now and goal columns. You're not gonna mess with those now.

- - - Updated - - -

That way you will be learning rather than us telling you. We can tell you what to do, but I'd rather you try it first.

#_______NOW___TARGET___ACTION
FC______1_______4_______ADD 69 oz OF 10% BLEACH
PH______8______7.5______ADD 20 OZ OF 31.45% - 20 BAUME MURIATIC ACID
CYA_____0______40_______Add 96 oz by weight OR 100 oz by volume of stabilizer OR add 249 oz of liquid stabilizer.
TA - NOT MESSING WITH THIS
CH - NOT MESSING WITH THIS

I'll confess I haven't used stabilizer before...and dont have any at hand. I'll go over to the 24hour super store and see what option is available. Noted the method of using a sock, placing in skimmer and not doing a backwash/filter clean for a week

As I have to add bleach, muriatic acid and stabilizer, I think I'll proceed with bleach and muriatic acid asap.

Sorry I didn't catch you. Something came up... You did great on your PoolMath!

Doing the chlorine and acid tonight was great. However, please wait a half hour between adding MA and chlorine in the future. Those are the two chemicals that need to be added separately.

Was the CYA solution cloudy at all? I would target 20 just in case and see where you are. Do a lot of sock-squeezing so it dissolves quickly. Then you can recheck it sooner. You can backwash if you need to after the CYA is dissolved.

See where your pH is tomorrow. You want to aim for 7.2 for your slam, but go slowly. It's best to add MA and recheck in an hour and then add more if you need to rather than overshoot.

that is perfect, if your pool is not clear or turning once you confirm your at PH 7.2 you can start the SLAM and use 16 FC as your target (40 CYA)

Once started just check FC and CC until the OCLT is passed :)

At 7.00 pm central on Friday:
FC 1
PH 7.3
CYA 0

Action:
1. I added bleach to target FC of 4
2. Started with Stabilizer to target 20.
Filter running continuously
Placed stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer.

As I have a waterfall splashing water, is it worth considering placing the sock in the path of the falling water? Or is it best to leave in skimmer and keep squeezing sock at regular intervals?

Will keep brushing.

Please advise if I need to change any of above, or do more.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support