Should I use a floating chlorine dispenser?

Jun 11, 2016
Tracy
Hello everyone.

First time pool owner here. I have a weekend pool which I see only on Saturdays and Sundays. The rest of the week I am away. The pool guy comes over on Friday mornings to take care of chemicals. Here is my question: Since I have a guy come do the chemicals on Friday morning and I am not around Monday through Friday, should I drop a chlorine tab to maintain chlorine levels? i don't want the guy over-chlorinating on Friday to last for a week - that would make the water bad for my weekend fun. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

There are a couple of better solutions for your situation...
  1. A Salt Water Generator (SWG) which will generate CYA-free chlorine automatically while you are gone.
  2. An automatic liquid bleach feeder such as the Liquidator or a peristaltic pump (e.g., Stenner)

Generally there is not a lot of love for the tablets on this forum the main reason is besides chlorine they contain other stuff depending on the type of tab. The biggest problem wiht the most commonly used tablets is they increase CYA aka stabilizer. CYA is used to protect chlorine from breakdown form the sun so the right amount is a good thing. The problem is it does not evaporate so each tab you use your CYA increases a little bit this in turn requires you to increase your chlorine level over time to maintain the same level of sanitation. Eventually you get to a point that it is difficult to maintain chlorine levels and the best remedy is to drain water to lower the CYA and start over.

The options BoDarville mentioned are your best bet they will allow you to maintain a chlorine level without side effects.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.