Very high combined chlorine

Jun 6, 2015
Ontario
Looking for some insight here, I have an ungrounded pool, approximately 25000 gallon, for almost two years now I have been struggling with insanely high combined chlorine levels, have a Taylor k2006 test kit, here are my readings from this evening
FC 6ppm
CC 18ppm
pH 7.4
Ta 70
Ch 120
It has a salt generator, and the pump runs 24 hours a day, was very green in the spring at opening, but has been clear for a few months now, gets lots of sun, solar cover has been off for two weeks straight water temp is 86 degrees. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, this is my first post on here. Thanks for reading.

Cya is at 70, and at start up I did slam the pool, but couldn't get the cc to drop any, the weekend I added 15lb of Oct out chlorine free shock, and it dropped the cc 2ppm

- - - Updated - - -

No algicides added as well

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I started the slam Monday night, used a total of 25 gallons of liquid chlorine 12.5% still the highest reading of fc I could get was 10ppm, that was testing after 20, 40, and 60 minutes after adding chlorine. Cya was at 50. Water became very clear this morning, this evening I have dumped another 20 gal of 12.5% liquid chlorine in and still can barely read above 10ppm fc. Maybe I am testing wrong? The last dose I added 10 gal in one shot, still can't get above 10ppm, any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Also,is the pH test accurate while performing a slam?

When you bought the chlorine, was it stored outside in the sun? Is it now in the sun? See if you can find a 5-6 digit number stamped on one of the jugs.

And as for PAGirls question: not only when did you last check CYA, but also was in sunny out?

Tested the cya last night before the first addition of chlorine, chlorine came from bulk tank stored in a van trailer at the local pool store

- - - Updated - - -

Only sun it saw was in the bed of my truck from the pool store to my house , 10 mi drive

Was it sunny out last night when you tested CYA?

Sounds like the chlorine should be fresh. Hmmm. That's A LOT of chlorine that you have added. Did you ever add a non-chorine shock or any bromine-containing products?

- - - Updated - - -

What is your current CC?

Never mind. I read back in the thread and saw that you did add non-chlorine shock. That will raise your CC value. Something's not adding up here.

- - - Updated - - -

If you added 20 GALLONS of 12.5% tonight and still have an FC of under 10ppm, I think you need to tell us step-by-step how you are testing.

I have the Taylor k2006 kit, I take a sample from between the shallow end return and the skimmer add the 2 dippers of dpd powder let it dissolve for about 5 minutes then start counting the drops, 0.5ppm per drop, then when it suits my fancy I test the cc which continues to be high

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.