Normal FC loss?

Sep 8, 2015
Union, NJ
I've been using the TFPM for about a week or two. My pool gets sun all day long. I seem to lose about 3ppm of FC each day with a CYA of about 80. Is this a normal loss? Also is there a certain time I should test and add my bleach? Thanks.

You can test and add bleach just about any time that's good for your schedule. Many people do their testing and additions in the evening in that they believe it enhances the bleach's ability to fight organic material in the water at night without competition from the sun. In any case, in the summer we generally consider a good FC loss between 2-4 ppm.

In your case, be careful. For example, my pool is slightly bigger than yours and I feed my pool about 1/2 gal of 8.25% bleach each evening (2.5 ppm). That's my pool's diet with a CYA around 60 in full, blazing Texas sun all day. In the next month or two I may have to increase to 70 to preserve that FC loss rate, but I'm always careful to ensure the water is clear with no algae. In your case, you have a very high CYA already and are still losing quite a bit of FC even though it's still within the 2-4 ppm range. You might consider doing an overnight (OCLT) test just to ensure your water isn't fighting something you can't see with the naked eye. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You can also post a full set of test results for us to review. That may help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.