Pump motor going out?!

KennyFlaming

Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2016
Erath, LA
I'm pretty sure the bearing are about gone in my pump motor horribly loud and flow is quite diminished.

I've seen what Looks like the exact configuration on Amazon for about $500+\- this would allow my to replace with Little or no re-plumbing

Any recommendations ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 35
Any more details about your pool? If you could add details about your pool to your forum signature such as the size of your pool, your filtration, your method of chlorination, etc. you will get better suggestions.

As a rule, when someone is upgrading or replacing their pump, I always suggest looking at two-speed or variable speed pumps to add flexibility to your pump operation and to save money on electricity costs. If you are happy with the performance of this pump before it quit, a direct replacement would work. A 1 HP pump might be enough for your pool as well and save even more on electricity.

EDIT: Since I now see that this is in the SWG forum and the group of wires along your plumbing, you must be running an SWG for sanitation. Even more reason to go with a 2-speed or VS pump because SWGs usually necessitate slightly longer run times for sanitation. If you can do those longer run times at a slower speed, it saves $.

Last edited:
Just replace the motor. No need to replumb or such. Wet side doesn't go bad. You'll need a new/rebuilt motor and shaft seal. You can get a direct replacement motor and shaft seal for around $200. Do a google or amazon search on USQ1152.
You could also get a 2-speed motor for about $350: 1.5 hp 2-Speed 56Y Frame 230V Square Flange Pool Motor Century # B2983 - Electric Fan Motors - Amazon.com

No matter what make sure you replace the shaft seal.

Also a 3rd option is just replace the bearings. Do a you tube search on replacing pool motor bearings. Lots of video available.

Good Morning,
I put a little more info in my Sig line.
I appreciate ALL your input, I didn't know that i could get away with only replacing the motor and not the entire unit. The motor is about 7 yrs old (came with house)

So I can just buy a new motor and leave the pump part itself as is?

Thanks Bobodaclown!

Can you help me to help me understand a few things:
If I go with the two-speed or variable speed pump, what is the advantage? What would make the pump/motor work at a slower speed?
I undertsand that a slower speed means less electric consumption but I guess my question is What tells the pump to work at the slower speed?

Thanks again for your help, Probably gonna pull the plug and order the pump today- Here is South Louisiana, my pool would turn into a swamp in no time should it go completely out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,
You'll have to either order a hi/low switch or wire a switch in.
Here's the owners manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/DynaGlasDynaMaxPumpsOM.pdf
On page 13 it list the part numbers.
On page 12 you can see the 2-speed motor part numbers you'll need 1.5 hp motor.
Amazon.com : Pentair A100FLL-Y Motor Replacement Sta-Rite Pool and Spa Pump : Outdoor Spas : Patio, Lawn Garden

Here's the shaft seal: Amazon.com: U. S.Seal PS-201 Shaft Seal: Sports Outdoors

Wiring a 3-way switch for pool High/low: how do i connect a 2 speed pool pump motor to a toggle swi

With regards to the pump a 2-speed on low runs 1/2 the speed as high moves 1/2 the water, but is 1/8 the cost.

I'm in the process of replacing the motor right now? The pump seals are wrong size (for example the ceramic one is too small in outer diameter by a good bit) so I'm putting the old ones back in and hoping for the best, should they need leak and to be replaced I now know how to replace them with out too much problem.

Say at a prayer for me, that this works out, I was hoping. New motor awould correct my low output problem but I was told on another thread that it would not cause low output.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.