Test results - what do I need to do now?

Yes, pH is a bit low. Should be at about 7.5. What is "FAS"? I don't see your CH listed which is important for your plaster. FC is low for your CYA (80) as a non-SWG pool. Minimum is 6, ideal target about 9. How does your water look? Is it crystal clear, or is there any cloudiness, hazy, or green tint anywhere? If you're clear, then adjust as necessary. If you see ANY cloudiness or have reservations about the quality, only raise pH to 7.2 for now. Do an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out algae. If you fail, do a SLAM (link below). Hope that helps.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Yes, pH is a bit low. Should be at about 7.5. What is "FAS"? I don't see your CH listed which is important for your plaster. FC is low for your CYA (80) as a non-SWG pool. Minimum is 6, ideal target about 9. How does your water look? Is it crystal clear, or is there any cloudiness, hazy, or green tint anywhere? If you're clear, then adjust as necessary. If you see ANY cloudiness or have reservations about the quality, only raise pH to 7.2 for now. Do an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out algae. If you fail, do a SLAM (link below). Hope that helps.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

FAS is the FAS-DPD Chlorine test.

I didn't do a CH test, I figured I have hard water here; so I didn't bother. But I'll make sure to do it next time.

The pool is crystal clear, I'm not seeing any cloudiness or any green. I can raise the pH by putting in muriatic or dry acid right?

Raise pH with Borax (or soda ash if you have to). Even aeration. Muriatic acid will "lower" your pH. :)

Thanks! I just added baking soda tonight. Maybe I'm not understanding the calculator correctly. For TA it says, "Add 28oz by weight or 23oz by volume of baking soda.
To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH.
Note: Adding baking soda will also raise your pH."

It gives me a goal of 100, and I'm currently at 110. But my pH is lower than the 7.0-7.2 mark, so I figured if I add baking soda; then I should also increase my pH.

I still don't understand what a FAS of 30 means. Is that 30 drops? If so, you multiply by 0.2 and get an FC of 6.0.
AND, if that is the case, you can use a 10ml sample I stayed for FC/CC and multiply the drops by 0.5.

I did this test: Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test

I had 60 drops on the test, so 60 * .5 = 30.

Not really. Baking soda raises TA with negligible effect on pH. 20 Mule Team Borax, found in the laundry aisle, is the chemical that will raise pH. I suggest you get some borax as soon as you can (ASAP) because your pH may in fact be lower than 6.8, ESPECIALLY with an FC level at 30. High FC levels can cause pH to read falsely high, not low. Low pH is very hard on your pool and your equipment.

And yes, you need to take another look at PoolMath. Leave your TA numbers the same for now and goal. After adding the baking soda, you will need to retest your TA and input that new number in both now and goal. Focus on the pH row.

Not really. Baking soda raises TA with negligible effect on pH. 20 Mule Team Borax, found in the laundry aisle, is the chemical that will raise pH. I suggest you get some borax as soon as you can (ASAP) because your pH may in fact be lower than 6.8, ESPECIALLY with an FC level at 30. High FC levels can cause pH to read falsely high, not low. Low pH is very hard on your pool and your equipment.

And yes, you need to take another look at PoolMath. Leave your TA numbers the same for now and goal. After adding the baking soda, you will need to retest your TA and input that new number in both now and goal. Focus on the pH row.

I'm going to pick up some Borax today. But I have no idea how much to put in.

In the pool calculator, do I put what my current readings are in the first column and what I want my readings to be at in the second column? That's the only way for me for get any information on how much Borax to add.

On the calculator, you enter your current (NOW) test result on the left, then in the target (GOAL) column to the right you enter where you want to be. Then the calculator will tell you how much to add. :)

Thanks!

So I ran the numbers in the calculator and it's telling me; given a TA of 110 and Borate of 0; to add 111oz by weight or 106oz by volume of Borax, in order to increase my pH from 6.8 to 7.2.

Here's what I think I need to do:
1. Test Borate levels in pool
2. Test new TA (Since I stupidly added Baking Soda to my pool yesterday)
3. Test new pH due to adding Baking Soda
4. Put Numbers in Pool Calculator
5. Add in x amount of Borax
5a. Pour Borax into skimmer
5b. Run pool pump
6. Wait until morning to take new values.

Btw, do you guys typically use a scale to measure by weight and use a scale, or do you just more or less ball park off the weight in the box?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depends on the item you're measuring. If it's something that is 4 pounds (for example), then if I need 2 lbs I'll just add 1/2 the container. But for most things I use the volume measurement numbers and use a measuring cup as opposed to a scale. If I were you, I would focus on getting the pH under control first, then move-on to other levels. You can add Borax and let It mix for 30 min to an hour and re-test.

Depends on the item you're measuring. If it's something that is 4 pounds (for example), then if I need 2 lbs I'll just add 1/2 the container. But for most things I use the volume measurement numbers and use a measuring cup as opposed to a scale. If I were you, I would focus on getting the pH under control first, then move-on to other levels. You can add Borax and let It mix for 30 min to an hour and re-test.

Sounds good, I'll work on that tonight. Glad to hear it works so quickly.

Just did a restest today, here's the results.

TA: 90
pH: 7.0
Cl: 5+

Really surprised why my TA is lower today and my pH is up. I ran the numbers in the pool calculator and it's suggesting to put in 38oz of Borax to bring the pH up to 7.2. Going to go measure that out and add it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.