TA-One More Time

Feb 14, 2016
McKinney. TX
Getting pretty good with the K-2006 but, just for fun, I went back to my pool bulider today to get a sample tested in their Biogard ALEX computer tester. Readings were nearly identical to mine with the exception of a couple. Their computer tested CYA number was 77 while their manual kit said 60. My test was 60. His view was that the computer generated numbers were often off and he relies on his eyeball to arrive at a better number. Anyway, as I have an SWG pool, looks like I need to raise it another 10 or so.

The computer tested TA was 76 and an Adjusted TA (takes into account the impact of CYA) of 53. My test kit number was 80. So the question is, when I enter 80 into PoolMath does it "adjust" it for me in calculating things like CSI?

BTW, in the proud tradition of pushing chemicals, their recommended treatment as a result of their testing was that I add 14 lbs of Balance Pak 100 (which, by my calculations, would raise TA to 154 and the adjusted TA to 107....they seem to like an adjusted TA of around 100) followed by adding 1.5 pints of MA to hit a 7.5 pH target.

At any rate, if I did all their treatments, I'd wind up with a CSI of 0.1. If I do nothing, my current CSI is -0.1.....guess I'll do nothing and save a few bucks on baking soda and acid.....

It's good you are absorbing the info now. :goodjob: As for the calculator, it doesn't tell you which of the three items to change (CH, pH, or TA) if your CSI is hi/low, only what that current CSI is. Then it's up to us as pool owners to look at the three available numbers and see which one makes sense to change (if any). Looks like you have a good handle on things.

With our water here in DFW having a pretty strong tendency to scale it is best to keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0. I would raise CYA to 80, that sun is hot and 80 will cut your FC burn daily burn rate.

Thanks. Yup. Trying to keep the TA on the low end as the pH tends upward on a weekly basis. Before switching to a SWG and doing my own testing, the pool store was recommending adding large amounts of baking soda (their brand) followed by knocking pH back with fairly large amounts of MA. I seem to be getting close as I'm having an easier time with the pH now that the TA is stable and fairly low....also keeping the bubblers and waterfall off unless we're using the pool.

Re the CYA, yes, trying to creep up on it as I watch the Cl test numbers. A bit nervous about it as, before I converted to SWG, using a chlorine tab feeder resulted in monumental CYA numbers...and the pool store didn't think it was a problem. They view 200 as an acceptable high end for CYA. The result on my colored plaster was huge staining and scaling...or so their "plaster expert" conlcuded after much debate. The result was my draining and acid washing the pool that was only 2 years old. Anyway, I'm currently taking small steps in water adjustment.

Agree that this N. Texas water is hard. Found out from the local water district that the treated water here ranges from 100 to 200 CH through the 6 month "summer". This is a result of providing water from 3 lakes in the area with the composition changing daily as they draw varying amounts from each lake and mix them. Anyway, my current CH is about 260 and, so far, fairly steady. It is getting hot, however, current pool temp 91, and evap rates are increasing. Should be a fun summer.....

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.