Filter capacity question

Pogo

May 8, 2009
We have a cartridge filter on our pool that drives me bonkers. It clan clog up very easily and in just a day or two, overnight as the season goes on unless I blast it out at the car wash (not good I have been told) It seems to take forever with a garden hose to achieve minimal results. Right now, I hate the bloody thing! :rant:

I am considering putting in a SWG and am told the cartrigde filter is actually better with those. Another thing is that with no "back washing," it makes for less chasing of the chemical balance, a plus of the swg system.

So to come back to my problem, I've read that many older (which this is) cartridge systems are too small.
What I'm asking is, how does my system compare to my system needs.

Not knowing what all the different abbreviations mean or which is most critical, I just shot some pics of the data cards on the filter case and pump.
Here we go...

[attachment=0:1dxdpvge]P5210015.JPG[/attachment:1dxdpvge]

Attachments

• P5210013.JPG
    P5210013.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P5210015.JPG
    P5210015.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 199
Pogo,

I hear what you're saying but I think it's possible their might be another culprit. Your filter and pump appear adequate for your pool.

What may well be the issue is where is the junk in your filter coming from. It sounds like algae to me. Are you keeping your pool properly chlorinated? If it's just dirt, that is an excessive amount of dirt and you must have a lot of dusty wind blowing accross your pool. If it's algae, however, the algae will continue to reproduce and die and then clog your filter forever.....regardless of the size of the filter or pum[p.

JasonLion said:
There should be another sticker on the filter that tells you if it is a C900, C1200, or C1750. The sticker you have a picture of is the same on all three of those models.

Sorry about that! I forgot about that part. Its a C 1200

Concerning the algae, the filter clogs up even when i'm keeping the water clear and the chemicals balanced.

120 sq-ft filter is a bit small for a 25k gallon pool but you really shouldn't need to clean it more than once per month even for that size so something else might be going on. The cartridge sounds like it might be plugged. You might want to try an overnight dishwasher soap soak, rinse and then followed by an acid/water soak.

mas985 said:
120 sq-ft filter is a bit small for a 25k gallon pool but you really shouldn't need to clean it more than once per month even for that size so something else might be going on. The cartridge sounds like it might be plugged. You might want to try an overnight dishwasher soap soak, rinse and then followed by an acid/water soak.

I haven't tried the dishwater soak but i have tried the commercial filter cleaners and they made little difference from the garden hose rinse except for outward appearance. About the longest I've been able to go without significant choking of water flow is about a week. A few days is closer to average.

Wait a cotton-picking minute!!!

I just thought of something. In looking at a number of pictures of pools, I noticed the water return was feet below the surface. Our only return draws from the surface. There are plastic baskets but they only filter out larger stuff. I tried putting a screen in the basket to catch smaller stuff but gave it up because it clogged up constantly!!!

Ok. In light of this, what, pray tell, is our solution???

Because fewer readers will revisit this thread, I'm posting this new development in a new thread.

What was it that was clogging up the skimmer? That is probably what is clogging up the filter. Better to clog the skimmer basket so I would leave it in.

Also, do you have a main drain? That should take over when the skimmer clogs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.