Questions about Kool Deck renovation

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello, hoping for some help, and appreciate any one who takes a look at this.

First of all, I am in no way upset with anyone, I am just looking for some advice on what to do from here. This will be long winded, as I want you all to have all the info I know, as I hoping to get some ideas or recommendations on what to do from here.

The situation is that I bought a home out of foreclosure recently. At first we thought the Kool Deck (which is about 12 years old) was really trashed, but it turns out it just needed a good power wash. After that it looked fine (not brand new but good enough), and had some areas where it was chipping, but not too bad. We knew we wanted to fix that so it did not get worse, so we attempted to do that this spring. The color of the Kool Deck we believe was most close to Coral Peach. The contractor we used said we could pick other colors for the sealant he would use after patching, so we choose something that is more tan/brown.

At that point, I would describe the texture of the Kool Deck as dry, lots of pinholes, etc...Again, overall it was in pretty good shape, and had clearly been installed correctly (the original owner of the home was a high end builder who did everything to the best level from what we can tell.

The contractor we used at first tried a product, not sure what it was, but it seemed to take several coats, and he felt it didn't look right. I noticed the texture of the kool deck had not change much, it still seemed dry, like it could continue to soak up more coats of the product.

He was not happy with it, and grew tired of the labor, and went to a different product. I took a picture of it, attached. When this product was applied, it looked great. This was in April.

Now that the pool is open, unfortunately, the Kook Deck is VERY hot now. Prior to this work, the coping on the pool was hotter than the Kook Deck. Now, the Kool Deck is signficantly hotter than the coping.

The Kook Deck LOOKS great. The texture is different, there are NO pinholes, as this sealant/paint seems very durable, and almost kind of thickly applied (it seemed to fill every possible hole and crack, small and large, almost like a durable paint.

Here are some questions -

1) The product that was used is H&C Water Based Concrete Stain, would that be expected to reduce the cooling ability of the Kool Deck, even if the color was the same?
2) Would you feel a lighter color of the same product would reduce the heat on the Kool Deck, and be worth trying? The color used is about two shades darker than the original Kool Deck color.
3) Do you have any recommendations on options from here? I am open to any and all suggestions or ideas.

Thank you in advance!

I don't see a picture but I'm bumping the thread to get you some help with your questions.

[/ATTACH]View attachment 50826View attachment 50828

Hi, not sure I am doing this correctly, but attached are two pictures. I also heard back from Mortex that this product is basically paint that would take away the cooling properties of the Kool Deck. They said that it should be removed if possible, but said that would be very difficult due to porous nature of Kool Deck. They advised starting over.... UGH....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

As far as I know....cool deck is a coating you put on, so, if you paint over it, it's no longer the outer coating. My kooldeck looks like that. Not smooth, kinda like sponge looking. Sounds like you need to go over it all again with a cool deck coating. Sucks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

whoa!! my deck looks exactly like that. Didn't know I had a Kool Deck that everyone is talking about.

The previous owner used a silicone based paint: Behr Plus10 , It worked very well (no peeling) but it does get
quite warm. I was about to buy more as the bucket is now emptied (I just repainted it again a month ago with what was left over) but I might hold off and get
Kool Deck coating next time I need it.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. We have something like KoolDeck and I was told that its cooling properties come mostly from its "orange peel"-like texture. Since there are spaces in the texture of the concrete, the whole surface of your foot isn't touching the hot ground and therefore the decking feels cooler. The lighter colors also help. Since your texture is more uniform now and there are fewer gaps because of the stain, this would take away from the primary cooling feature I was told about.

Yep, that product that was applied took away many of the small poc marks and pinholes that provide the cooling. The only product I have found that SHOULD have been used is maybe Cool!, which advertises as the only product you can use on Kool Deck to keep it's cooing properties.

This is really a bummer, as before the coping on my pool was hotter than the deck by far, now the deck is by far hotter than the coping, so it really takes away a very nice feature we had, which was to sit and even lay along the pool edge comfortably.

I think from here - and if anyone can help, i would appreciate it, but look at options:

- is there a solvent that might work to remove this stuff sufficiently to bring back the cooling?
- Has anyone started over with Kook Deck (remove it and redo it)? If so, how did that go?
- Is there some miracle product that can be applied over this current stuff to drop the temp way down?

Thanks!

2 questions: the contractor that you hired, was he aware that the surface is kool deck? If so, you should go back to him and tell him he screwed up the kool deck and you figured he knew what he was doing when he took the job.
#2)
Have you contacted kool deck directly? They may be able to put you in a right direction, maybe even saying that you can just cover this layer with the kool deck again.
A ton of work , and a bummer situation.

Pure Luck - thanks for reply. Yes, contractor was aware it was kool deck. He had done other concrete work for us, and did a really great job, so he did this work in the spring, and I didn't expect him to make this mistake. He says to wait a year or two, as the sealant/paint breaks down it will get cooler. This might be true, but for now our deck cooling is gone. In fact the pool deck is now hotter than nearby bare concrete.

Yes, I am in contact with Mortex, they say the only thing to do is to start over, down to the concrete, and re-apply the kook deck (it is a different process than when applied to wet concrete).

My new angle is to try and find some solvent or other product that can hopefully remove this paint. Or, is there a mechanical process that can be done to get the dimples, dots, and pinholes, back and help....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.