Jun 10, 2016
Charlotte/NC
Also read the Water Balance for SWGs and it suggested the following levels:
FC 4-6 ppm (currently too low, @ 3.5)
PH 7.5-7.8 (currently too high, @ +8)
TA 60-80 (currently now too high, @ 90)
CH

• 220-320 for fiberglass (currently much lower, @ 80)
  • CYA 70-80 (currently much lower, possibly below 30)
  • Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level (currently correct @ 200+)
  • Borates 30-50 ppm (optional)(none)

SLAM says to lower PH to 7.2 though. is that correct?

- - - Updated - - -

In addition should I bring my CYA up to 60 before slamming as it is very low and may not be being read correctly because of this

Yes, you'll want to lower your PH to 7.2 before you start SLAM. Keep in mind, if you are "+8", you could be 8 or you could be 9. So add some acid and then retest in 30 minutes (with pump running).

Also, they say to turn of your SWG for the SLAM

DO NOT raise CYA until after SLAM is over

Wait, I just noticed that you do not have a proper test kit yet?!?

Do you have a test kit? You signature says planning on getting one.

No, if you are involved in a SLAM you want to start with pH at 7.2 and CYA of about 30. The higher the CYA you start with them more liquid chlorine you need. Also, during the SLAM turn off the SWG and use all liquid.

Over time there has been conflicting ideas on how much calcium a fiberglass pool needs. Unlike a vinyl pool that needs none, its hard to know if your fiberglass pool's gel coat contained calcium or not.

So to play it safe we're recommending a lowish level of calcium which should be enough if its needed yet not so much that it causes any problems with scale.

I updated my test kit. sorry forgot to do this. I also dropped my ph down to 7.2 with muriatic acid last evening and began to add chlorine to shock. My FC level this morning was only to 11.5 though after using pool math. Also, the ph rose this morning to 7.6, from what I am reading because of the addition of the chlorine. Below are current #'s:

Also read the Water Balance for SWGs and it suggested the following levels:
FC 4-6 ppm (currently too low, @ 11.5)
PH 7.5-7.8 (currently @ 7.6 this morning ****This is post it being @ 7.2 last night and when I started slam with liquid bleach)
TA 60-80 (currently now too high, @ 90)
CH 220-320 for fiberglass (currently much lower, @ 80)CYA 70-80 (currently much lower, possibly below 30)
Salt 200-400 ppm ABOVE recommended optimum level (currently correct @ 200+)
Borates (none)

From this it looks like I need to add muriatic acid again to get it to 7.2 and more chlorine. Do you guys agree? SWG FC level should be at the below level for me:

SWG Pools

CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FCShock FC
60*​
3​
4​
24​

During a SLAM you want ideally for your CYA to be 30, because if it were more you'd need more chlorine to reach that higher SLAM level. If it is less than 30, the sun has too much power to sap your FC. The CYA stabilizes your FC so that its protected from the sun and available to work for you slaying the algae beasts. :rambo:

Get a bit more CYA in that pool and consider your SLAM level to be 12 (which corresponds to CYA of 30)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your SLAM right now is just a normal chlorine pool until your done with the SLAM, then change to SWG recommendations :)

so 30 CYA and 12 FC for your SLAM is perfect :)

only test FC and CC using the 10ml sample to save on reagents

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.