Liner puncture in the deep end, how do I repair?

dayhiker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2008
Pell City, AL
I have been installing a solar system for my pool. I had some sand on the end of a 2" pipe and dipped it in the pool. It slipped out of my hand and hit the bottom hard. I didn't think I had a puncture. It's now about a week later, has rained tons for the last two weeks and I noticed this morning that the water is about 2" below my overflow. I grabbed a mask, hopped in, and sure enough, it's a clean puncture over about half the circumference of the pipe. Basically, a half moon.

Now what? I still have a good bit of the extra liner from when my pool was installed almost 2 years ago. Is it possible to install a patch without draining the pool? Please say yes!

Another issue, is should I be wary of running the Polaris the rest of the day for fear of sucking too much sand from the puncture?

I got it patched. You can see it from the surface. In hindsight, I should have taken a screwdriver down to prop up the tear, stick the patch to it first, and then put the rest in place. The polaris had vaccumed up a little of the sand, so there is a void maybe the size of a 2L bottle top. I have been placing sand all day in prep for flag stone and did take a handful of sand down, but it's difficult to place properly.

Hopefully that patch will hold with a small void. 62.4 pcf * 8' * 144 in^2/ft^2 is a pretty big pressure on that patch.

Your Polaris shouldn't be too harsh on the patch 8) However, you may want to cut and apply another patch over that one, just to be sure... Make the second patch ~ 1/4" larger than the first and then you can just enjoy the pool without having to worry about it leaking there :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.