Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner puncture in the deep end, how do I repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner puncture in the deep end, how do I repair?

I have been installing a solar system for my pool. I had some sand on the end of a 2" pipe and dipped it in the pool. It slipped out of my hand and hit the bottom hard. I didn't think I had a puncture. It's now about a week later, has rained tons for the last two weeks and I noticed this morning that the water is about 2" below my overflow. I grabbed a mask, hopped in, and sure enough, it's a clean puncture over about half the circumference of the pipe. Basically, a half moon.

Now what? I still have a good bit of the extra liner from when my pool was installed almost 2 years ago. Is it possible to install a patch without draining the pool? Please say yes!

Another issue, is should I be wary of running the Polaris the rest of the day for fear of sucking too much sand from the puncture?
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner puncture in the deep end, how do I repair?

I found a wet patch kit. Luckily, the local pool place had it. I sure hope this works.
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

It is completely possible to patch the pool underwater. It helps to have an assistant, a snorkel, and a mask. You will also want something to help the patch in place while the glue dries.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I got it patched. You can see it from the surface. In hindsight, I should have taken a screwdriver down to prop up the tear, stick the patch to it first, and then put the rest in place. The polaris had vaccumed up a little of the sand, so there is a void maybe the size of a 2L bottle top. I have been placing sand all day in prep for flag stone and did take a handful of sand down, but it's difficult to place properly.

Hopefully that patch will hold with a small void. 62.4 pcf * 8' * 144 in^2/ft^2 is a pretty big pressure on that patch.

5. Back To Top    #5

Your Polaris shouldn't be too harsh on the patch 8) However, you may want to cut and apply another patch over that one, just to be sure... Make the second patch ~ 1/4" larger than the first and then you can just enjoy the pool without having to worry about it leaking there
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)