Spring 2017 Build - MA

May 26, 2016
Northeast MA
Inground Vinyl 23'x40' Aspen Build in MA

We've just put a deposit down to be the first install of next spring for our pool builder and patio installer. Not sure if it's normal to plan this far ahead but I'm OCD, so here we are! We're going with a 23x40 Aspen shaped vinyl pool, Salt System, Heat Pump, swimout, hybrid in-floor cleaning system (Caretaker heads, Paramount valve, plus Polaris 360), and 3 LED lights. For the patio we're doing exposed aggregate and will have a retaining wall at one end and fire pit with seating wall at the other end. Below is a 3D drawing that the patio guy did showing the final design we settled on, minus some landscaping that will be done around the walls. Here's to hoping we have an easy winter and they can start in March! We'll definitely be swimming by Memorial Day.

FWIW I would make sure you can position chairs on the other side of the firepit so you can gaze at the pool. (or watch the kids)

Where will your equipment end up?

Other things:
Where will you store your pool "toys"/leafrake/etc
Solar cover? If so where will it go when off.

Just some thoughts. Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also ask him to draw the pool and decking outlines on the lawn.

FWIW I would make sure you can position chairs on the other side of the firepit so you can gaze at the pool. (or watch the kids)

Where will your equipment end up?

Other things:
Where will you store your pool "toys"/leafrake/etc
Solar cover? If so where will it go when off.

Just some thoughts. Looks great!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd also ask him to draw the pool and decking outlines on the lawn.

The wall on the other side of the fire pit is a seating wall, so people can sit on that and face the pool.

Equipment will be on the side of the house at the back corner, just in front of the fence. We plan to put an "L" shaped section of 4' fencing around it to cover it up once everything is done. It will come off the existing fence, out towards the pool, and then back into the corner of the house.

Pool toys will likely end up under the deck. It's in the process of being done over in composite and vinyl railings, so will probably enclose the bottom of it and store toys and leaf rake etc. under there. It's 12'x16' so will have plenty of storage. There's also a 10'x16' shed not in view on this rendering, that's off to the bottom left of the picture.

As for solar cover, I'm really on the fence about it. They're such a pain in the butt, but I know it will save me a lot of money on heating costs. With this shape pool, if we used a reel, it would have to go at the deep end towards the retaining wall, which means making the patio bigger to have a place to store it. Aesthetically, a reel doesn't fit in anywhere with this design. I'm thinking maybe we will do one without a reel and just use it in the early and later weeks of the season, just folding it up and storing it under the deck so we can retain the heat on cool nights in May and September.

I'd seriously consider a handrail for the steps. If you really don't want to now maybe just put the sleeves in the deck for future use if desired.

What's the reasoning for this? My parents have had a pool with steps and rails for 25 years and I can't remember the last time I saw someone use the railing going up or down the steps. I prefer the clean look without the rails.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't do any railings and my Aunt reminds me each visit. I like the look without but they do serve a purpose.

I would love to see a pic of where it is going. Maybe use a bright rope or hose to kind outline it.

Have you pick out the equipment yet? If so share it here and we will help make sure you the best size and such for your pool.

Kim:cat:

I would love to see a pic of where it is going. Maybe use a bright rope or hose to kind outline it.

Have you pick out the equipment yet? If so share it here and we will help make sure you the best size and such for your pool.

Kim:cat:

Equipment isn't finalized yet because I have a connection at a pool supply place that I can get anything from Bel-Aqua at dealer cost. The PB is getting me the costs of what I would pay for the equipment through him (breaking out material and labor for the install) so I can see where I can save money. As for what they use, this is what I know so far if I go with all their equipment:

Filter: Sta-Rite Mod Media 60
Pump: Sta-Rite 1.75 HP
SWCG: Autopilot (not sure on the model)
Heat Pump: AquaCal 120
In-Floor System: Caretaker Pop Up Heads (8), Paramount Control Valve, and Polaris 360 all included as part of their package for 100% cleaning coverage

Saving money is great, but if you supply parts to the PB, they're your parts before he touches them and so are any problems. If the PB supplies them, your check is for a pool, etc. completed to your specs. Any problems are between him and his supplier.

Here's a current thread about the problems you can face when the builder isn't the supplier and the homeowner gets caught in the middle: Pool uprights not level

Saving money is great, but if you supply parts to the PB, they're your parts before he touches them and so are any problems. If the PB supplies them, your check is for a pool, etc. completed to your specs. Any problems are between him and his supplier.

Here's a current thread about the problems you can face when the builder isn't the supplier and the homeowner gets caught in the middle: Pool uprights not level

Yeah I definitely have this on my mind. The savings are going to have to be significant for me to supply any of my own equipment. If it's not a significant savings (measured in thousands), then I'm going to go with having the PB supply everything for exactly the reason stated above.

Here are some pics of the back yard as it looks today. We have a corner lot, so pictures are taken from the driveway and street that go along the side of the back yard. Fence will be continued along the street and driveway to completely close in the yard after the pool is done.

And again the picture of where the pool will go, so you don't have to go back to the first post:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.