Spring 2017 Build - MA

WELL DONE! That yard is screaming for a pool! I LOVE where you are putting it and the design! Thanks for putting the concept picture in this post. That was a sweet touch and really helped me see your set up better!

This is going to be a fun one to watch. It gives us something to look forward to for next year!

Kim:cat:

WELL DONE! That yard is screaming for a pool! I LOVE where you are putting it and the design! Thanks for putting the concept picture in this post. That was a sweet touch and really helped me see your set up better!

This is going to be a fun one to watch. It gives us something to look forward to for next year!

Kim:cat:

Thanks! We picked the lot 6 years ago with the future pool in mind. My wife thought I was crazy back then, but she won't once it's all done and we have nice all day sun back there!

Nice! We have about the same sizes. More free form. Ponoco they call it. We only have two led lights and wish we did a third. Also think about other lighting around the deck. After thought for us but going to add. Heat pump works great and love ours. Good luck!

What kind of fuel do you plan to use for your fire pit? Just wanted to point out the potential for issues with blowing smoke and ash from a wood burning pit. Not in terms of damage to the pool but with respect to your own comfort and maintenance. Also because blowing ash can dirty the pool. I imagine enough of it could affect the PH as well, but probably would take a lot more ash than would ever get in there. I'm struggling with this decision myself (NG vs wood) for my build which I'm also planning for spring 2017. Just food for thought.

What kind of fuel do you plan to use for your fire pit? Just wanted to point out the potential for issues with blowing smoke and ash from a wood burning pit. Not in terms of damage to the pool but with respect to your own comfort and maintenance. Also because blowing ash can dirty the pool. I imagine enough of it could affect the PH as well, but probably would take a lot more ash than would ever get in there. I'm struggling with this decision myself (NG vs wood) for my build which I'm also planning for spring 2017. Just food for thought.

We are going with a regular wood pit. Thought about NG but the cost will be about $2k+ more to run the line and get the burner. Then you can't use it for roasting marshmallows which is big for the kids. Also want to use it to burn the small branches that fall off the trees from time to time and over the winter.

We're well aware of the smoke issues and that's definitely a downside to wood vs NG, but worth it to us. You can always move around to get out of the direction the wind is blowing. I don't see ash being too big of an issue.

Just found out yesterday that tomorrow is dig day! Well the start of it at least. They will be here with the excavation crew to cut into the slope of the yard and make it flat so they can paint the pool out in preps for completing the dig early next week. We'll see how far they get, but let the fun begin!

Looking forward to watching this one. I started the planning of mine last spring as well. We dug last fall but are just now finishing (hopefully next week). We did a 18x36 vinyl with salt. I'm doing easytouch automation, deck jets, a slide and waterfall.

Our PB let us purchase all the equipment and we saved a lot based on the prices he quoted from his supplier.

Deck jets are cheap and easy and will be great for ambient water sounds and a toy for the kids. The waterfall is being plumbed but that is phase 2.

We are also planning phase 2 to have a real-wood firepit similar to your design (wall behind it).

Just wanted to say Good Luck with your dig and installation.

Well, due to the torrential downpours we got yesterday and last night, the dig is pushed off to Monday. Better for us so we don't completely destroy the yard with the trucks. Pool and patio are all sprayed out on the yard as of this morning for us to look at over the weekend, excavator will be there first thing Monday morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, worst fear came true...hit ledge about 4' down during the dig yesterday. The jackhammer will be there today to see how easy it is to get through. This is the smaller of the two the hammering company has because it was available right away. If this one doesn't work, we might have a delay in waiting for the bigger machine. Rough estimates on additional costs due to the ledge, including all the material haul out from the dig and replacement with clean fill (which some of this would have been incurred, ledge or not), is $13K-$15K. Wife was ready to fill the hole back in last night, told her it's too late, they already hauled away many truckloads of dirt!

Sorry about the ledge. Tough pill to swallow.

I saw that your in-floor system was part of a package price. I was hoping to make the suggestion to nix it, get a robot to save some money, get better cleaning and offset some of the ledge expenses.

Beautiful neighborhood. Like the solar. Is that Solar City? It looks nice and clean like theirs does.

Sorry about the ledge. Tough pill to swallow.

I saw that your in-floor system was part of a package price. I was hoping to make the suggestion to nix it, get a robot to save some money, get better cleaning and offset some of the ledge expenses.

Beautiful neighborhood. Like the solar. Is that Solar City? It looks nice and clean like theirs does.

Thanks, solar is Vivint. I've gone back and forth on the in floor system. Talking to many owners that have gotten them from this builder with a vinyl pool, they clean very well and have the added benefit of heating from the bottom which is more efficient. If it comes down to needing to cut something out, that will be first to go, but hoping it doesn't come to that.

Hammer arrived late yesterday after a blown out tire on the way there. The good news is he hammered for an hour before he left for the day and got a good amount done. Hoping that a whole day of hammering and hauling out today will get us most of the way there, if not all. Fingers crossed it doesn't get harder as they get deeper. PB has been great to work with, getting the hammer company to charge us hourly for their late arrival yesterday, and working with me on the price of the extra time spent digging/hammering, and finding places to take all the fill and rock for no charge. I guess I'm as happy as one can be that found a giant ledge of rock 4' into the dig of their 8.5' deep pool.

Are Ken and Bob your dig crew? Sorry about the ledge.

Yes, Ken and Bob are the guys here, also another guy named Jay helping out.

Finished up for the day today, they have the hole dug down to the grade of the low end and have some fill that was trucked in and leveled to get the footings setup for the walls. Tomorrow will be digging into the deep end. Hoping to wrap the dig up tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.