16X48 Ultra Frame Intex Pool Filter Upgrade

KELSIE

Jul 16, 2014
Queensbury, NY
I just set up my new 16X48 Ultra Frame Intex Pool. It came with a 1500 gph pump and filter. http://www.kmart.com/intex-16%27-x-48inch-ultra-frame-swimming-pool/p-004W001611963005P The pump does not seem to have enough pressure so I am worried it will not stay clean. You cannot even feel the suction with your hand over the outlet. I have a new PowerFlo 1 1/2hp pump that was given to me, can I use this pump on this size pool, or will it be too big?

You would need a filter to go with the new pump. That pump will be too big for the filter that came with your pool. You could also set up the pump/filter combo that came with the pool and set up the PowerFlo for vacuuming. It would take a little McGiver-ing to set up an intake and discharge but it is doable.

If you want to get a new filter you could modify the pool and add a skimmer to increase functionality.

Would I be better off getting a new pump/filter combo? I would like to do whatever is the easiest. What size would you recommend?
Would the 12" at this link work? http://www.intheswim.com/p/intex-sand-filter-systems

- - - Updated - - -

You would need a filter to go with the new pump. That pump will be too big for the filter that came with your pool. You could also set up the pump/filter combo that came with the pool and set up the PowerFlo for vacuuming. It would take a little McGiver-ing to set up an intake and discharge but it is doable.

If you want to get a new filter you could modify the pool and add a skimmer to increase functionality.

I've got the 16" Intex filter/pump. I've had mine for 2-3 years, I've very satisfied with it, cost and performance. I don't think you can get easier than going with the Intex, everything is directly compatible. I would recommend going with the 16" version for the extra filter capacity, therefore less frequent backwashing. The flow is good and circulates the pool well. Any of the sand filter would be a significant upgrade over the worthless cartridge filter pump that came with the pool though. However if your pool is the new style with the dual inlets, you should check the flow at the outlet not the inlet. But definitely proceed with the upgrade to a sand filter.

I spent 1-1/2 seasons convinced the cartridge filter was adequate. Do not waste your time, upgrade now, world of difference.

We have a 20' x 52'' intex and have had several smaller ones over the years. This one has the sand filter and it is by far the best one we have ever had. The cartridge pumps are a joke and don't move enough water to really keep it clean, in the past we always either bought a bigger pump and ran it more. We were lucky that this one came with a sand filter and we love it!

Ditto what everyone else said. A good Hayward sand filter made the difference like night and day with my 18' Intex last year. I put a skimmer on it and never looked back. The OE pump and filter might keep a birdbath clean.............

I have the same pool as you do and added a sand filter, super flo pump and heater. I actually was using the Intex filter and it was fine but I wanted to add a heater and found a guy that was filling his in ground and bought his pump, filter and heater. The sand filter is great, no filter to change and I back flush maybe twice a summer. I also added a skimmer and second return because the pump might not get enough water flow from just one suction point and return.

Works great. Check craigslist.

Thanks for the above replies. I just got a Salt Water Generator on sale, it was normally $175 and I got it for $87 because the box was open but it was never used. I don't have any experience with salt water but from reading on the forums here I understand that's the way to go. I will also be adding the sand filter, I just need to decide which one to get.

Does anyone who lives in the northeast have experience leaving one of these pools up over the winter? Can I treat it like a normal above ground pool or will I destroy the pool?

I live in north east Ohio and have left my intex pool up for 2 winters now. I drain the water below the inlet and outlet holes, bring the pump, filter and salt water generator into the basement, and cover the pool with a winter cover. It has worked great. My pool is 5 years old now.The first 3 years, I took it down and stored it, but saw many in my area leaving their intex pools up, so that is what I do now.The first winter, we got down to -20 degrees a couple of times.No problems at all.

I live in north east Ohio and have left my intex pool up for 2 winters now. I drain the water below the inlet and outlet holes, bring the pump, filter and salt water generator into the basement, and cover the pool with a winter cover. It has worked great. My pool is 5 years old now.The first 3 years, I took it down and stored it, but saw many in my area leaving their intex pools up, so that is what I do now.The first winter, we got down to -20 degrees a couple of times.No problems at all.

Thank you mulia!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I leave mine up as well. I live in the chicago area. I took it down for two seasons but for the last two seasons left up and it is fine. I almost think it is harder on the liner to take down and fold it up. I have seen some posts where people took down and the next year the liner had cracks, pin holes etc.

Can anyone give any advice? I installed the new sand filter and pump this weekend. The pool store convinced me to use ZeoSand. I back washed the sand until the water was clear, rinsed and turned the filter back on. (I back washed the sand for a long time, enough that the water level was just above the outlet line on the pool.) As soon as I turned the pump back on to filter it filled my pool with cloudy water. I'm guessing I didn't do something right. The pool is now so cloudy I can barely see the bottom.

I'm also having problems with the suction on the pump. It keeps getting air from somewhere. It will be OK for a little while and then it doesn't have enough suction to make the intex skimmer work. It will right itself after a little while and start the whole cycle again. I've tried everything I know to do, but nothing is working. I know its air on the suction side but how do I find it? I have the pool with the 2 outlet lines. I tried using the flow reducer on the 2nd outlet and without it and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I was getting air with the cartridge filter that came with the pool also so I know its not the pump. Do I get rid of the skimmer? Is it a bad valve? I also tried changing out the line that connects from the plunger valve to the pump and that didn't make a difference either.

I read a post here ( somewhere) that some zeo sand has a powder left on it from the manufacturing process. I would imagine that would be the cloudiness you are seeing. Check the search feature in the upper right hand corner for zeosand.

As far as the air in your inlet lines to the pump, I don't believe we have the same skimmer .( I installed a real thru wall hayward one, as the INTEX one was pitiful!) If you see a whirlpool in your skimmer when the pump is running, and a " slurping" type noise, that is air being sucked into your skimmer, due to your new "powerful" pump. Can you lower the skimmer farther into the water? Some here, I believe, also tilted theirs to an angle, because it wasn't catching things on the surface. Again, the search feature above is a good resource.

image_zpst3gb2enj.jpeg

Is this similar to your skimmer? If it is, then this is my old skimmer too. It sucked air when I installed my new, more powerful, intex sand filter. You may see a whirlpool & hear slurping when the pump is on. If this is the skimmer you have, try to lower it in the water. Also you stated on backwash, you lowered your water level drastically. Try to refill pool to help with the skimmer. it needs to be very low in the water WITH the basket inside of it. Hope this helps. This is the reason I installed the thru-wall.

I read a post here ( somewhere) that some zeo sand has a powder left on it from the manufacturing process. I would imagine that would be the cloudiness you are seeing. Check the search feature in the upper right hand corner for zeosand.

As far as the air in your inlet lines to the pump, I don't believe we have the same skimmer .( I installed a real thru wall hayward one, as the INTEX one was pitiful!) If you see a whirlpool in your skimmer when the pump is running, and a " slurping" type noise, that is air being sucked into your skimmer, due to your new "powerful" pump. Can you lower the skimmer farther into the water? Some here, I believe, also tilted theirs to an angle, because it wasn't catching things on the surface. Again, the search feature above is a good resource.

mulia,

Thank you for replying. The cloudiness in the water is from the dust left from manufacturing the zeosand. I just don't know how to get rid of it or what I did wrong in the back washing process. I tried back washing again last night and every time I turn my pump back on I get a new cloud of dirty water shooting into the pool.

As far as the issue with the skimmer, I don't have a whirlpool at all. I thought I would because the suction on the line is really good until I install the skimmer line. The water barely trickles in the skimmer. I've tried adjusting the skimmer and I put it in the water as far as it will go, but the top half of it floats away. The pump is sucking air so badly it is losing its prime. The photo you posted is exactly the skimmer I have. I finally gave up and removed the skimmer last night and the pump has not lost its prime since but I am still getting air from somewhere (not nearly as bad as it was). You can see the air in the return line. I looks like seltzer water with the air bubbles popping up. Should I just not worry about it and leave it as it is? How much of the water level did you loose when you installed the thru-the-wall skimmer?

I installed my skimmer right below the sleeve that the horizontals slide thru. Water level, at within 1" of the top of the skimmer opening, is about 2" down from the seam. I am so happy with the thru wall.There is a pic in the threads here somewhere where they tilted your skimmer at an angle. It might help, so I'll try to find it for you. On to the zeo sand/sand filter. Backwasjing also includes rinse afterwards. That settles the sand down after the backwash. Did you rinse for a while? I'm on a well and hate losing water, so I backwash about 30 secs to a minute, then rinse for 30 secs. I still lose alot of water.If you did rinse, I'm thinking you didn't backwash long enough to get rid of the zeo dust. If you don't want to backwash all the water out of the poolI would open up the filter and manually hose the stuff down in the filter with a garden hose with the drain at the bottom of the sand filter open ( obviously with the sand filter shut off at the valves and electric) Or take it all out & into a container of some kind & rinse it by hand with a hose and swishing it around,dumping the silty stuff out as you go.
image_zpstwjz8tax.jpeg

We have a 20' x 52'' intex and have had several smaller ones over the years. This one has the sand filter and it is by far the best one we have ever had. The cartridge pumps are a joke and don't move enough water to really keep it clean, in the past we always either bought a bigger pump and ran it more. We were lucky that this one came with a sand filter and we love it!

kriscaryb , do you mind if I ask to see pictures of your float holder, and ask how you keep algae from forming from your steps??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.