Introduction

Jun 21, 2016
victorville ca
Hi, all. New to pool ownership. Bought my pool on Friday 17th of June, built, filled and swam. Suddenly occurred to me I needed chlorine so off to the store I went. I bought all kinds of stuff, threw a few 1 inch tabs in my filter per the pool instructions. I then decided to come online and read. The wealth of info I found scared me. I don't know my chemical make up as I bought strips and apparently those were not the right way to go. I was fortunate to end up here and now I'm going to try to fix what I may have broken. We are having temps in the lower triple digits and so I would like to make sure we don't screw it up so the 5 of us can continue to swim.

TIA for all the help I'm sure to need!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Testing is the cornerstone of what we teach, and a good test kit more than pays for itself in chemical purchase savings. We recommend the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006. The TF 100 is the best value as it contains a high volume of reagents to perform the tests, and shipping is very fast. Once you have some reliable test results we can help you keep the water clear. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help!

Welcome to the forum!

While you are waiting for one of the recommended test kits to arrive, here's a good way to become more familiar and comfortable with pool management...

Begin with this article: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry. This boils everything you need to know about managing pool water chemistry down to one page.

After you have a good understanding of the ABC's article, the following articles will give a little more information on the pool chemicals we recommend and the recommended levels.
2. Recommended Pool Chemicals
3. Recommended Levels