PH creeping up..is this normal?

Jun 14, 2016
Austin Texas
I started TFP method about a week ago. Things are getting better after my original SLAM and I have been adding bleach daily however every few days my Ph seems to creep up to 8ish and I add acid to get it back down. Is this normal with the bleach method or do I have something else going on?

PH: 8
FC: 7.5
CC: 0ish
TA: 125
CYA: 65

Thanks

Your TA is what is driving up your pH. If one uses trichlor pucks, then pH creep is less likely because trichlor is very acidic. Now that you are using bleach, there is no continuos source of acid to keep the natural pH rise from happening.

Lowering your TA target will help. Many people find 80ppm to be a good place to start. You will still need to use acid, but the frequency of additions will go down.

Ok, so I need to try and get my TA down by adding muratic acid but I don't want my ph to go below 7.2...so this could take a few additions correct?

Thanks

Yup. Follow the article in Pool School for lower TA. You will lower your pH to 7.0-7.2 range which will consume alkalinity and then aerate your water (brush hard, swim, cannonballs, water features, etc) until the pH rises up to 7.6. Repeat cycle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.