Newbie here, just starting the conversion

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
Hello :-D

Here's a brief history: We bought our first pool in July of 2007, but because we had such a wet summer that year, it didn't even get set up until mid August. I, too fell trap to the Baquacil "sucsess stories" :roll: Well, since the pool was only open for about 2 months before we had to close ALL was great!

Fast forward to spring 2008. Opened the pool to beautiful crystal clear water (or so we thought). Teen daughter and some friends got in to stir it up a bit for a light vacuum job. Quickly got out due to being attacked by white tissue papery stuff they had stirred up. Yep, you guessed it, white water mold. After trying to get all of it cleared out, which I think we did, I was spending, oh heck I don't even know, other than it was a LOT, just trying to keep the water in check. Fast Forward to August, and got another little present I wasn't bargaining for, mustard algae! Finally, after tons and tons of shocking, got that cleared up and shut the pool down in early Sept. Hated to do it, because it was fairly warm, although the water was starting to get cold.

So, here it is today, May 2009 and I've decided to do the conversion. I went to the pool store (first mistake) and they said sure we can help you convert. So, I bought the stuff she gave me, not exactly sure was it was, but she said put it in for 48 hours and bring your water back to be tested. Did that, banquicide was reading low, but shock or oxidizer or whatever they call it was through the roof. Now, do you you think I could maintain those levels when I needed to?..lol

Anyway, she gave me a bunch of pucks and said just start adding these daily. This could take a while, maybe even all summer. Well, I don't want to wait all summer, because I am planning on upgrading to a bigger filter, when my conversion is complete. That is when I got online and found this site. :whoot:

I started the conversion process yesterday and have read this site religiously for the past few days. I just kind of jumped right in, but I already knew from reading and looking at pics what to expect.

PH is 7.6
Alk 80-90
CYA roughly 10 due to using the pucks for about a week

I don't have a good test kit yet (ordered the one they sell here yesterday). So after using the bleach calculater to raise CL to 15 it took about 3 gallons of bleach every hour just to get a color change in the water and for it to hold any CL at all. Probably like about 35 gal. the first day The water finally did change to a dark murky green last night. I don't have anything floating on top although my skimmer sock is quite a lovely shade of rust. Today its more of a clear lime greenish, the CL is still reading really high so I haven't added any yet today, but I will check again shortly.

So, I guess my question is this: Is there any way I might have over Chlorinated and ruined my liner? I can see some clear water separating from the green around the edges of the pool and everything looks ok. I guess I just need some reassurance from the experts! I have read every article in conversions here, heck I even caught my hubby reading it, and he doesn't even mess with the pool, thats' MY domain...lol

Well anyways, sorry this is so long, I just wanted to say I think this is a GREAT forum and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything turns out. You all have a GREAT day.

Welcome to TFP!

Your liner should be fine.

Do you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test (scoop of powder turns the sample pink and then drops turn it back to clear)? That is essential in the final stages of a baquacil conversion. Getting precise measurements of both FC and CC is essential to the process. If you don't have that, you will need to go many extra days at high chlorine levels to be sure you complete the conversion.

Jason

Thanks for the fast reply. I have ordered the F100 or whatever it is from here, but because it is a holiday weekend, I'm sure it won't get here until sometime next week, I still have about 25 gallons of bleach on reserve, so I'll get back on it. It is really warm and sunny here today, so I guess I can expect to use a lot..lol

:wave: Just an update:

I cannot believe how the water looks after just one day. It went from cloudy army green to clear sparkily turquoise in about 24 hours! I just wish I'd have ordered my TF100 kit sooner, so I really knew what my levels were.

I only added about 6 gals today so far, but it's still reading high according to my cheap test, so I think I'll just wait until sundown to add more. Here is my next question: Since it looks like my water may be perfectly clear by tomorrow or Monday, but I probably won't recieve my test kit until Wed. or Thurs., should I slow down more on the bleach use or keep adding three times a day?

On a side note, the water was clear enough that I got in with my new "toy" a pool blaster and vacuumed the bottom, it really wasn't that dirty, but I HAD to try it out..lol
I added a skimmer sock to the existing filter and picked up all kinds of small little things, kind of amazing.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Memorial Weekend :-D

Welcome pepsiholic :wave:
I can't give you any advice on the conversion(I never did baq) But I can tell you how great the test kit is. I love my tf-100. the only problem is that I get a little crazy and test a little too often!! My husband calls me a wanna be chemist! At least our water always looks great! :lol:

anyway, welcome and good luck!

It's hard to really say if you should cut down on bleach additions since you're still waiting for the test kit and can't provide any real numbers yet. It sounds like you're on your way since you say your pool is clearing which is good! 8)

Keep at it. Your test kit should be there soon!

Hi everyone :-D

just reporting that pool water is clearing nicely, very sparkily with a light greenish tint towards the bottom, ph was a little low, so I added a little ph-up I had left over from last year. I CAN'T wait to get my TF-100 kit! I'm so excited. Cleaned out the skimmer sock and it was loaded with yellow gunk. I'm not sure if it was baquicil or pollen but I did notice little spots of pollen where I had just vacuumed yesterday, ughh. I haven't had any pressure build up in my filter, is that because I am using a skimmer sock? I wish I'd have taken some pics but I was so excited that it was working that I forgot..lol..that's what 3 days off from work get me...lol

Received my FT-100 test kit today! Yeah!! Ok here are my numbers, so I can get this conversion complete:

FC-12
CC-.5
Alkalinity-110
PH-7.2
CYA-probably around 10 it was a little cloudy probably due to the pucks they had me use before I found this site

I added more clorine per the pool calculator to bump it back up to 15, will check in a bit before I have to go to work and adjust back to 15 to see if it will hold over night. I think I am almost there :-D

update:

9.5 fc
.5 cc
7.2 ph
110 alkalinity

I'm sure my decrease had to due with the hot sun and no stabalizer, but added the recommended dose to bump back up to 15. Will try to check before I leave for work, but a big storm moving in so I don't know if I will be able to

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a strong storm move through last night, so here are my chlorine levels. They didn't hold, but they didn't drop too bad, and I think the debris from the storm made the CC's go up, so I'm going to go hit it again with the bleach.

FC 13
CC 1.5

Is this kind of normal after a storm?

Yes, storms tend to use up chlorine and once in a while they will cause CC.

These results mean you are close. The FC level only fell by 2, even with the storm. Probably tonight the level will hold overnight.

Darn, I over slept this morning, was so tired from midnight shift and staying up all day yesterday, that I didn't get up in time to check my water before the sun came up. I just checked it and the numbers aren't to bad.

FC 12.5
CC .5

So I know I am really close. My question would be, is it ok to go ahead and change out my sand? I am off this weekend and it sure would be a lot easier to do it when I'm off. Thanks everyone :-D

I would wait till tomorrow to change the sand, if that works with your schedule. You are at least really close to ready to change the sand. Waiting till tomorrow will improve the odds of everything working without problems.

OK, thanks Jason

I don't go back in until tomorrow night, so tomorrow will be good. Since the weather is beautiful we are going to run our permanat electic line today anyway. Well, me husband is, my project has been waterproofing the deck. Whew, it gets rather warm up there..lol

:party: Conversion complete!!

Yeah, I have held to 15 for 2 nights and had planned to change out the sand yesterday, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

We ran our permenant electric yesterday and my DH always underestimates the time and supplies we need, so after several trips to Lowe's (the closest one being 25 minutes away), we finally finished up at dark last night. Then my clothes dryer is on it's last leg. It came with the house when we bought it a couple of years ago, and looks to be really old. I have my dryer I brought with us when we moved, but wouldn't you know it, no 220 hook up. The dryer that is here is a gas dryer. Just my luck..lol.

Anyways, I am going to hold to 15 tonight and tomorrow, we are going to change out the sand. It should go pretty smoothly because I bought a bigger (150 lb) sand filter to replace my smaller one.

While at Lowe's I picked up some cya. I tested mine yesterday and at 20 I could still see the dot, a little cloudy maybe. So can I start at a best guess of around 10 and add from there? This comes in a little 3lb jug and says add directly to skimmer. I have read about a lot of you doing the "sock method" is that the best way? I've come this far and sure don't want to mess up now..lol. I am in direct sunlight all day until dark, so what should my target be?

Thank you to all who have helped me through this. If there are any non-believers out there, please, let me tell you, this really works! Even when my pump is shut off my water sparkles like glass!

I just got done putting sand into my new filter and all hooked up. Backwashed until clear and rinsed for a mintue or two. Then turned to filter. Added 3 lbs of cya into a sock and set it in my skimmer. Added bleach per calculator to keep my levels up until the cya registers.

Is this it? Am I done? woohoo! I hope so because a big storm has just moved in and it's looking really ugly out there.

Hey, Pepsi,

Technically, we like to use these guidelines to complete a conversion...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

From your posts, I think you have accomplished all three.

I never get tired of looking at sparkling pools......I hope we get to see a pic!

PS - Very nice work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.