Converting to SWG...need some help.

ITR

Gold Supporter
Nov 8, 2014
Clermont, FL
It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm sure the same friendly experts are around.

So I got the better half to agree to convert to an SWG and got two quotes:
- Leslies - Jacuzzi J-SS40 (Jacuzzi<sup>®</sup> J-SS40 Salt Chlorinator for Pools up to 40,000 Gallons). Quoted at $1600 installed.
- Warranty Pool Company - PLC1400. Quoted at $1300 installed.

The Jacuzzi system has a reverse polarity self-cleaning feature. Not sure if it's science or more of a marketing pitch, but I thought I would mention it. So does this self-cleaning feature really work and in your opinion is it worth the extra $300? I can't find any literature on it.

My understanding is the SWG does not need to be connected to the AquaLink...but should it? And if so, what are the pros/cons?

With a gunite IGP plumbed with PVC, is a sacrificial anode needed (heater coils are still metal)?

Chemlink C1900 - I remember posting about a year ago and someone said they were not consistent and somewhat troublesome. Is that still the case? Sometimes I am gone a week or two at a time and need to be able to "dose-from-afar". If I went with the Chemlink system, I would also go with a stenner pump for the MA.

Any help you can lend, would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Yes, reverse polarity works, Pentair also has it but it isn't an add. No sacrificial anode is needed. I am very happy with my Pentair Intellichlor. But, the the fan favorite at TFP is the Hayward Aquarite SWG in terms of value. Size your system 2-3 times the gallons of your pool to avoid having to run your pump too long.

Yes, reverse polarity works, Pentair also has it but it isn't an add. No sacrificial anode is needed. I am very happy with my Pentair Intellichlor. But, the the fan favorite at TFP is the Hayward Aquarite SWG in terms of value. Size your system 2-3 times the gallons of your pool to avoid having to run your pump too long.

Thanks for the quick reply! From searching the forums...it looks like the Aquarite is the same system as the Swimpure. Can you (or anyone else) confirm?

Thanks, guys. So if this reverse-polarity self cleaning is valid...is it worth the extra $300-400 for the Jacuzzi-branded product? Appreciate all the help...trying to learn the next step in this pool process. I didn't see anything in the Hayward manual that the Aquaswim/rite had that feature.

The Hayward reverses polarity with every cycle. Or you can manually do it via the Diagnostic Menu and selecting + or -

I'm not sure what that has to do with self cleaning however. I believe there is a Hawyard expert in this forum. Hopefully he will see this thread and provide insight.

SwimPure, AquaRite, Goldline, AQR15 are all the same. All of them have the polarity reversing self cleaning feature. Just be sure that it is the 40,000 gallon rated, T-15 (or AQR15) model. I've been using one for over 11 years and if it blew up today, I would order a new one just like it tomorrow. The cost of unit is around $1,000. So your quote of $1249 installed (with a $150 store credit) sounds okay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the help as always. The better half and I have decided to pull the trigger on this tomorrow. Wish us luck!!

Any comments on the Chemlink (we can add it at a later date). Is it still more trouble than it's worth?

I have no personal experience with the Chemlink system, but the general opinion around here is that ORP sensors are not very reliable. If you lower the TA in a pool the pH becomes much more stable and MA additions less frequent. If further pH buffering is still required borates can always be added. I would have some concern about a system that if the sensor failed or was out of calibration could pump a large quantity of MA into a pool.

Thanks...and it makes sense...although I would hope the engineering behind it would be to fail in a safe direction, I completely get your point. I definitely don't want to damage our investment purely for convenience. Last question:

I've seen some posts where the AquaRite/SwimPure hooked up to an iAqualink requires the Chlorine Translator from Flynn Engineering (last post I found was from 2014). Apparently people were experiencing the SWG functioning being locked out of the iAqualink if it wasn't installed. Is that still the case? If it helps, I am on Rev: T.1 of the RS-8 system Combo system. Looks like the Interface is labeled "AquaLink Touch" and the CPU p/n is "B0029221".

So the question is....do I need to get the Chlorine Translator to monitor the cell from the iAquaLink?

I can't help with any questions regarding automation systems. I don't use any automation. I have a very simple system, a variable speed pump that is controlled by its own onboard programming, and a SWG controlled by a separate timer. There are lots of others who have more knowledge re automation. If someone who can answer your question doesn't come along soon, you may try posting questions regarding automation in a different forum category.

Thanks...and it makes sense...although I would hope the engineering behind it would be to fail in a safe direction, I completely get your point. I definitely don't want to damage our investment purely for convenience. Last question:

I've seen some posts where the AquaRite/SwimPure hooked up to an iAqualink requires the Chlorine Translator from Flynn Engineering (last post I found was from 2014). Apparently people were experiencing the SWG functioning being locked out of the iAqualink if it wasn't installed. Is that still the case? If it helps, I am on Rev: T.1 of the RS-8 system Combo system. Looks like the Interface is labeled "AquaLink Touch" and the CPU p/n is "B0029221".

So the question is....do I need to get the Chlorine Translator to monitor the cell from the iAquaLink?

Lets see if I can answer your question. As of Rev T, the Aqualink will lock out all SWGs including their own product, AquaPure. There are some earlier reveision of the AquaRite that when you select AL-5 will simulate the AquaPure, but I believe Hayward has changed that setting to no longer simulate the AquaPure. So, if you wanting to connect your Aqualink to the AquaRite, you can do 4 things. 1) If you have a older version of Aqualink before Rev T, you can use that version and see if your AquaRite when set to AL-5 simulates an AquaPure. If it does then you just switch back to Rev T.1 and you are good. If not, then you need a Chlorinator Translator. 2) You could select AL-5 on your AquaRite and conenct the Aqualink to the Aquarite and just power them up and see if it works. If it does, then you are good. If not then you have locked out all SWGs. I would like to point out that on the Chlorinator Translator website, they indicates that it will unlock your Aqualink, then you would be good. 3) You could just get the Chlorinator Translator and you would be good. 4) You could just do nothing and have to go out to the equipment whenever you wanted adjust or see if there are any issues with the AquaRite.

I hope this has helped you. What you do is up to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.