High copper in pool 1 ppm

harmug

Jun 14, 2007
Poughkeepsie, NY
:( Last year my husband used a copper based algeacide and we are still feeling the effects in our 16 X32 inground pool.
Here is the data: pH 7.3, tot alk 132, total hardness 223, Cu 1, CYA 151, Free chlorine 0.3, total 1.5 . Our water is somewhat cloudy as I still can't see the bottom of the deep end. I have some 12% "bleach" I know I have to add, but wanted to get the Cu down before. Thinking of using HTH metal control.... ANy thoughts? Thanks!

I've used metal sequesterants in the past, worked fine. Something else you may consider is the new clorox with rust out, or whatever it's called.

I used this in the past, not for metal but because I bought it and didn't know any better, and found it would leave small brownish deposits about 12' from my return, just like the sequesterants did. There was some discussion about this type of clorox at poolsolutions, and I think others reported similar experiences.

Not something you'd want to use every day, but possibly until you don't have any fall out?

Oh, never heard about that type of chlorox. I only see the scented stuff & chlorine free type on the Chlorox website. I would think that to remove rust, some type of oxalic acid would be needed. I ended up putting in 1 pt of "stain away " and Cu is now zero, if I can believe that result... will have a recheck done at the pool store.

I have been checking various manufactures pool products using their respective MSDS sheets as chemical composition is listed... that way I can compare the products for like chemicals. Pool magnet, stain away and metal control all contain Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic acid. Do you or does anyone know of standard chemical procedures, like ASTM methods or protocals for pools that I could reference & do my own testing... making up reagents and such? Thanks!

harmug said:
Oh, never heard about that type of chlorox. I only see the scented stuff & chlorine free type on the Chlorox website. I would think that to remove rust, some type of oxalic acid would be needed. I ended up putting in 1 pt of "stain away " and Cu is now zero, if I can believe that result... will have a recheck done at the pool store.

I have been checking various manufactures pool products using their respective MSDS sheets as chemical composition is listed... that way I can compare the products for like chemicals. Pool magnet, stain away and metal control all contain Hydroxyethylidene Diphosphonic acid. Do you or does anyone know of standard chemical procedures, like ASTM methods or protocals for pools that I could reference & do my own testing... making up reagents and such? Thanks!

Both LaMotte and Jack's Magic have a seqesterant test kit available tht will test the level of HEDP in the water. The LaMotte kit is 4064

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.