Brown Specs In Pool

trickyr11

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2012
North Carolina
ok so my wife decides to clean the tile at the top of the pool (inside the pool) area with a steel wool pad. tile looks great! but a few days later I noticed a lot of brown specs all around the edges of the pool where cleaning occurred mostly. so I figured (still do)it was rust from the wool pad. next I shut of the generator and let the fc down to under 1ppm. took 2 days. then treated it with aa. probably 2-4 lbs if I had to guess. I bought a 50 lbs box years ago. I have had brown staining before and the aa took if off within minutes. well this time it didn't touch the specs. I even put of glob of it right over top of some and nothing? I have some pics and will post my specs. any help much appreciated!! sorry if this was covered and I missed it.

fc 3.5 (before lowing to treat with aa)
cc 0
ph 7.6-7.7
ta 100
ch 280
cya 35-40

20000 gal in ground fiber glass with swg
IMG_3168.jpg
thanks, rick

Attachments

• IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 17
Your old box of AA may have degraded, especially if it was stored in a shed or garage. Get some generic vitamin C tablets, crush them, and tie them up in a sock or handkerchief and lay them on the stains. If that works throw out the old AA and get some fresh to remove the stains.

Ok thanks for the reply. 2 things: 1 I read that aa in a fine granular form stored in a dry(not humid) atmosphere at temps between 50-80 deg should be good for 42-48 months. Mine is maybe 24-30 tops. 2nd two. Weeks ago i used it in one of my neighbors pool for all over brown staining and it worked like always. Gone in almost minutes. Completely clean by next day. Just not sure how to attack this problem. I know it's metal but not like I've had before. Thanks Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.