Short in motor

Jun 21, 2016
Duval FL
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Problem started when the timer (Intermatic T104) would not shut off the pump. The manual switch would shut off the other components (IntelliChlor Cell) but the motor kept running. I had to kill the main switch to cut power to the pump. I replaced the timer twice with the same model - both times the timer would work as expected but then after about 1 week, same issue - timer would not shut off the pump (both timer and manual switch did not work). Using the manual switch the other components would power off, motor kept on running.

I don't believe it's the wiriing as I labeled the original configuration and took a picture...and it worked great the first week after changing out the timer. I doubt the timer was faulty twice, so thinking i have a short in the motor?

The system is about 9yrs old, I replaced the motor about 2 years ago...I got better mileage out of the original motor so not sure if I need to replace it or check something else.

20160621_081435.jpg20160620_191534.jpg20160621_081520.jpg

Looks like you have just invented perpetual motion.. :D

Sorry, but I can't think of anyway this could happen. The pump can't power itself, so something else has to be the cause.

In my mind it has to be some type of wiring issue. Please take a picture of your timer with the cover removed and tell us what all the other inputs and outputs are.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim, attached wiring on the timer. Single input on the bottom right, three outputs bottom left, and right/left side. Outputs drive the motor, bottom left, salt cell left side and oxygen pump on the right side.

It is odd - I will need to check the wiring but labeled them as it was originally wired.

20160621_202126.jpg

Unfortunately, even though you took a pretty good picture, I can't follow each wire. I get confused when they disappear into the background. I'd be glad to look at this again, but my wife and I leave tomorrow morning on a three week vacation, so maybe someone else can jump in.

Your wiring does not look right to me , but I can't see it well enough to tell you what to change.

I assume your input power is 220 volts.. If so the Red input wire goes to Terminal 3. Where I think it goes now. The black input wire goes to Terminal 1, I believe that is where it is now connected.

So it appears to me that you are running both your pump and SWG off of 220 volts. Is this true? If so....

1. Then the red wire coming out of the SWG goes to Terminal 4 , right where it is now.
2. The Black wire coming out of the SWG goes to Terminal 2. I can't tell where it goes in the pic.
3. The Green wire out of the SWG connects to all the other green wires.

4. The Red wire from the pump goes to Terminal 4. It now is going to Terminal 3
5. The Black wire from the pump goes to Terminal 2. I can't tell where it goes in the pic.
6. The Green wire from the pump connects to all the other green wires.

It appears to me that you have two red wires coming from your ox gen. I'm not sure if this unit runs off of 220 or 115, but my advise would be to disconnect the wires from the Ox Gen and cap them off temporarily. See if the problem goes away. If you can confirm that the Ox Gen connector only has the two red wires (plus the green one) and tell me what voltage the Ox Gen needs to run, I can then tell you where the wires go.

What is the switch/box that is connected to the top left of you timer box?

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.