First time setup for a newbie

Apr 14, 2016
Bellmawr NJ
I should have my Intex ultra frame up in a few days. I know nothing about where to start as far as chemicals and such. It has a sand filter pump. Do I just put sand in it and add some chlorine to the pool water? I'm going to purchase the salt water system in a few weeks, but I'd like to temporarily get it going for the kids to enjoy. Are there any specific sections on these forums where I can read about this?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Here's a breakdown of what you can expect to need/do at the very beginning:
- Order your TF-100 test kit now (link below) - you'll use it everyday.
- Make sure to have some water in the filter before dumping the sand in (#20 silica pool sand) so you don't damage the laterals (pipes)
- Buy stabilizer from Wal-Mart of home improvement store pool section to increase CYA level to at least 30 for now
- Buy regular bleach (generic is fine); increase FC to 3 ppm on day 1, then once the stabilizer is dissolved and in the pool increase to 4-5 ppm per day - never below 2.
- Test adjust pH to remain in the mid-7s

That's a very quick down & dirty layout of what to expect at first. Spend some time in your TFP Pool School and the other vital links you see in my signature below. You can also get to Pool School form the home page. Let us know if you have any other questions.

- - - Updated - - -

For dosage amounts it's always best to us the Poolmath Calculator (link below). It's a fantastic tool that will help you immensely.

Ok, I filled up the pool and took some measurements.

pH was right around 7.5.

The chlorine test had no reading, so I'm assuming no chlorine.

CYA showed nothing, so it must be below 30. The test only measures from 30 to 90.

Alkalinity reads 120.

New water won't have any CYA, so you need to add some right away. Go for an initial CYA goal of 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Also use the Poolmath calculator to determine how much bleach to add to raise your FC to about 3 ppm on day 1. After that, maintain FC around 4-5 and never let it drop below 2.

The Poolmath calculator, along with your proper test kit, are your pool's best friends. :)

Do I need to worry about hardness? Mine is measuring 80.

Add your pool info to your signature so that questions like this can be quickly and easily answered without having to search the thread to find out what kind of pool you have. More info here about what to put in your signature and how to do it, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.