Time to Rant........

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
At the in-laws this weekend. Kids wanted to go swimming. They said, come on out, just got the pool cleared up.
We went out and looked and i literally cringed at the site of the pool. It wasn't green, it wasn't clear, it was 90% clear and cloudy. They just bought a new ladder and said it was the ladders fault everything went green last year. Algae was hiding in behind the ladder. I said, "i have the same ladder and have never had algae." Told them to dump a gallon of bleach in there and I would come back with my kit and have it cleared up in about 2 days probably. But they insist on spending $$$$$ at the pool store and dumping who knows what in their pool. I honestly didn't want my kids swimming in there. So frustrating that I know how to fix it and they wont have any part of it..........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Came back home, took the cover off mine and you could barely tell there was even water in there it was so clear. Had the kids jump in ours and swim for a few mins just to sanitize....lol

You should have seen the notebook the pool store gave them. Having them dissolve chemicals in 5 gallon buckets and then dump in every 2 days. I didnt even know what half the stuff was for. There was literally a full size notebook page hand written for them explaining what to do in what order. There were (and i'm not joking) 9 steps for them to follow over the next 4 days to clear it up. And sitting on top of the notebook.........TEST STRIPS.

So frustrating.....Ok, end rant. Gonna go stare at my pool now......

I feel your pain. My kids seldom want to swim in my SIL's pool because they understand the basics of TFP. I am finding it difficult to swim in a public pool.
It may be a case of waiting them out. When the pool store methods don't work, they might be ready to listen.

I was in Minnetonka MN last week for my niece's graduation party. The party was on a Saturday and my family was there until Tuesday.

20 minutes away, is Waterpark of America. So I took my son for a few hours on Tuesday before we headed back home. It was an absolute blast, except for the feel and smell of the water. Now obviously commercial parks and clubs have to be up to certain state standards, but it certainly seems that those standards are much lower than my own. To make matters worse, when we got back to my sister-in-law's house, we had just enough time to repack our swim gear and head back to the Cities to catch our plane. I spent the next 18 hours smelling like a combined chloramine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it's not just me! After reading as much here as I could, I noticed myself being very leery of unknown pools. I just posted a thread in Getting Started about "losing my pool innocence".

I'm so new that I haven't even received my test kit yet, but here I am wondering if they make a travel-size version.

How about the people who think you're crazy to have ten jugs of bleach in your cart, or stop you to try to convince you pool store methods are easier?

It's another thing that you just don't talk about, religion, politics, and pool care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right! I don't tell them until after they're swimming. They're swimming around oohing and aahing about how clear the water is and how it doesn't hurt their eyes underwater. They say how do you take care of it? BAM, tell them they are swimming in gallons and gallons of bleach! :shock:

Right! I don't tell them until after they're swimming. They're swimming around oohing and aahing about how clear the water is and how it doesn't hurt their eyes underwater. They say how do you take care of it? BAM, tell them they are swimming in gallons and gallons of bleach! :shock:
That is just cruel :lol:

I swim laps at the local YMCA because the pool is large with lap lanes. Unfortunately, the water is not nearly as clean as our own pool and I really notice the difference. The water is always a little cloudy and it stings my eyes and smells of chlorine. I've mentioned it to the management but they really don't (or can't) do much about it. I guess the bather load, including lots of children, is overwhelming the available chlorine.

I had a friend over last weekend from out of town.
While swimming, she asked how on earth I'd managed to find a way to have crystal clear water without chlorine.

I told her not only did I have chlorine, but I had LOTS of chlorine!

She said "No way, I normally can't stay in a pool this long. I can't smell a thing and the water's silky."

I explained the TFP method.

Proofs in the pudding, eh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.