Help: Pump motor shuts off&restarts question

duckur

Jun 8, 2016
Chandler/AZ
HELLO! I am new member.

I have a in-ground pool with attached spa. The pump motor works for both pool and spa with actuate valves. Recently, I noticed that the pump motor shuts off after 10-15 mins running (when pool filtering is on), then sits for about 5 mins, it restarts itself for another 10-15 mins run. However, when the SPA filtering is on, this same pump motor seems working well.

The motor is 1.5 years old, 2hp, runs well before.

I searched on TFP site, and guess maybe the motor is overheating so it shuts off to protect itself? Any idea what might cause this problem and how to fix it? Thank you in advance for any help!

Schwinn

My first best guess would be the capacitor (if it has one) is getting flaky, about to completely quit.

Second best guess would be the start/run switch is bad, so you are running on the start windings only. This would cause the pump to overheat, but usually quicker that 10-15 min.

Check both, and replace the failed/failing part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.