A little advice? ...All too new to this...

Eve

Jun 20, 2016
Media, PA
:)[FONT=&quot]Hey all, I need a lottle help/advice. We recently bought a foreclosure property that came with an inground pool. This is our first pool. It's an inground, 25,000 gallon fiberglass pool. The water looked fairly clear when we peeked, but a lot of debri. After fully removing the cover and starting to clean all of that out...algae happened. I ordered the TF-100, but they were out of stock and its a 2-3 wk delivery period. I got some cheapie aqua chem strips...but as we figured...the pool basically has alnost nothing of anything. Everything came back very low on the strips.
[/FONT] A little back story...the previous owner was sly and damaged things unseen (he actually cut all the electrical for the pool and pulled it out, and then put back 3 ft on each side so it looked like it was there!)...so we had unforseen circumstances hold all of this up, and we just really want to enjoy our pool!

We'd like to start getting the ball rolling now rather that wait for the kit to get here... Any recommendations? Should I add CYA and try to raise pH with borax? Should I start adding chlorine, and if so, how much/often?

I know it's a lot of unknowns...but if I could just do something to help now...even if its a *little* waste of say chlorine...I'd just really like to get something in motion here and maybe get this pool clear before it's time to close it :)

You don't know where you are with any of the chemicals, so for now, only consider adding concentrated, unscented liquid bleach until your kit arrives. An expert should be along shortly to talk about just how much they'd recommend you add each day.

I had to order from my phone and the TFT site would not display properly, so the only other place I could find was Pool Supply World.

Last night I added 4lb of Stabilizer, and then after a few hours, added 8 jugs of the 128oz LA's totally awesome (2-3% weak) bleach based on PoolMath. That was the closest place I was able to make it to yesterday. Plan on picking up better bleach today. Anywho, this morning, our pool went from dark green with about 1 foot visibility to very light cloudy green.

I tested with the strips just to see, and according to them:

Total Hardness: Low
Total Chlorine: OK
Free Chlorine: OK
Bromine: OK
pH: Low
Total Alkalinity: Very Low
Stabilizer: Very Low (I know this one takes a while to show up)

Should I try to balance my pH and alkalinity now? And how much chlorine should I add daily to try and keep it before my kit arrives?

Attachments

• 20160621_090706.jpg
    20160621_090706.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20160621_090748.jpg
    20160621_090748.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.