need help finding suction side leak

May 15, 2009
Blue Springs, MO
I've already replaced the o-ring on the pump basket lid and drain plug, and greased both of them. I've tried pouring water over the different joints b/n the ground and the filter and haven't been able to tell a difference. When the pump is running it holds prime and I don't really see any air in the pump basket, maybe a few small bubbles once in awhile. But my sand filter has a clear dome on the top and I can watch the air bubbles streaming to the top and the water level dropping. It happens pretty quickly. If I release all the air and then turn off the pump, a small amount of air bubbles into the pump basket but it stays full of water. The water level in the filter starts dropping immediately and I don't see any noticeable leaks in the connections.

Any ideas on what to look at next?

The water level in the filter starts dropping immediately and I don't see any noticeable leaks in the connections.
You won't see water leaks. Air is sucked into the sytem and the water is drained back into the pool.

If the water continues to drop in the filter, the pump basket cannot remain full. Eventually, the water will drain out of the filter (replaced by air from the leak) and once the water is low enough, the pump basket will drain also and you will lose prime. Is that your situation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.