New Liner...Pool Filling...What now?? (lots of pics of pool and set up)!!

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hi guys,

First time pool owner and finally got my new liner. Water is being filled now. Filling about half way then they are coming back to cut out the jets, light, skimmer and stairs.

My question is very basic, and probably stupid.

But once the pool is full..what do I do?

I have pics of the set up below, but what "settings" should I have stuff on? Is my filter on "filter" mode or something else? Do I just turn on the pump and voila or do I need to do something else? What about the main drain and skimmer valves?

Can someone please just post a quick step by step. As for chlorine and CYA, I have enough to bring it to 20 CYA and 3 FC while I wait a week for the heater and salt water system. If I do not add the chlorine in 24-48 hours, will my pool turn green?

Here are some pics! Thanks!!

P60CcIG.jpg

5q0ON6w.jpg

UpxQwM0.jpg

cMxucbX.jpg

jQ7ouZn.jpg

It won't in 24 but it might in 48. And it will take 48 hours for the salt to dissolve and mix before you turn on the SWG.

Add 30 ppm of CYA and keep FC at target, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], until the SWG is ready.
Here is how to add CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Before you turn on the SWG you need to raise CYA to 70 ppm.

Here is what you need for water balance
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

I like to have my valves set to 80% skimmer and 20% drain for better skimmer action. The way they are now is fine for now, you can experiment with that later. Yes, just turn on the pump, it will prime for a few minutes and start pumping water. Yes, the filter should be in filter mode.

More here on operating your filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

To understand your equipment, think about how the water will flow through it. When you turn on the pump, there will be no water flowing until the pump primes (get water in the impeller). Make sure there is water in the pump strainer basket before turning on the pump to help it prime. This will get sucked dry, but soon the water should fill in from the pool in the suction pipes.

So here is the water flow:
1-Water comes in the main drains and the skimmers (through the valves)
2-Into the pump strainer basket
3-Into the pump
4-Into the filter multiport valve (at this point, it goes to the selected port) NOTE:ALWAYS TURN THE MULTIPORT IN THE SAME DIRECTION (choose clockwise or anticlockwise and stick with it)
---4a-Into the filter - THIS IS THE NORMAL OPERATION SETTING (next step is 5)
---4b-Out to waste
---4c-backwash through filter and out to waste
---4d-recirculate by skipping the filter and back out to the pool
---4e-rinse (used to stabilize the sand in the filter)
5-into heater
6-back to the pool (the fittings in the pool are called the pool returns)

If you have not used the equipment in a while, you should backwash the filter to clean out the crud. Then note the pressure on a clean filter. You will keep an eye on the pressure and backwash when the pressure rises 20%.

Add chlorine asap and add CYA soon. You don't need to have the main drain open at all, but some main drain helps to circulate the water better. The skimmers operate best with the water half way to 3/4 way up the intake. If the water goes below 1/4, you can start to suck air in the skimmer (not good for your pump).

Test your pH soon and adjust it with pool school calculations.

Lastly and importantly, only add chemicals that you completely understand (see pool school). The pool $tore is your nemesis. They exist by extracting money from YOUR wallet. Be smart and teach yourself how to care for your own pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To understand your equipment, think about how the water will flow through it. When you turn on the pump, there will be no water flowing until the pump primes (get water in the impeller). Make sure there is water in the pump strainer basket before turning on the pump to help it prime. This will get sucked dry, but soon the water should fill in from the pool in the suction pipes.

So here is the water flow:
1-Water comes in the main drains and the skimmers (through the valves)
2-Into the pump strainer basket
3-Into the pump
4-Into the filter multiport valve (at this point, it goes to the selected port) NOTE:ALWAYS TURN THE MULTIPORT IN THE SAME DIRECTION (choose clockwise or anticlockwise and stick with it)
---4a-Into the filter - THIS IS THE NORMAL OPERATION SETTING (next step is 5)
---4b-Out to waste
---4c-backwash through filter and out to waste
---4d-recirculate by skipping the filter and back out to the pool
---4e-rinse (used to stabilize the sand in the filter)
5-into heater
6-back to the pool (the fittings in the pool are called the pool returns)

If you have not used the equipment in a while, you should backwash the filter to clean out the crud. Then note the pressure on a clean filter. You will keep an eye on the pressure and backwash when the pressure rises 20%.

Add chlorine asap and add CYA soon. You don't need to have the main drain open at all, but some main drain helps to circulate the water better. The skimmers operate best with the water half way to 3/4 way up the intake. If the water goes below 1/4, you can start to suck air in the skimmer (not good for your pump).

Test your pH soon and adjust it with pool school calculations.

Lastly and importantly, only add chemicals that you completely understand (see pool school). The pool $tore is your nemesis. They exist by extracting money from YOUR wallet. Be smart and teach yourself how to care for your own pool.

This is great, thank you.

how do I backwash? Where does the water go? How long does it take?

BTW, in one of your pictures, there is a round filter basket. This probably goes somewhere. If it's not made for the pump, then it probably goes into your skimmer. Your skimmer baskets should be checked daily for debris, pool toys and animals (frogs, mice chipmunks). Check your filter basket at least weekly.

BTW, in one of your pictures, there is a round filter basket. This probably goes somewhere. If it's not made for the pump, then it probably goes into your skimmer. Your skimmer baskets should be checked daily for debris, pool toys and animals (frogs, mice chipmunks). Check your filter basket at least weekly.

good eye. I think it must be for the skimmer. thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.