Temporary above-ground pool?

JuliaS

Jun 20, 2016
New England
We live in a pretty cold climate part of New England, but I have two boys in their tweens who love to swim. I'm considering getting an above-ground pool but it would have to be completely temporary for a number of reasons. I have a pretty level yard and don't want to take up any grass or make a patio, or anything like that. If it's not possible, that's fine.

Here's my crazy idea. Put down a temporary snap-interlocking deck on a pretty level part of the yard. Put an Intex Easy Set (like this: Amazon.com : Intex 18ft X 10ft X 42in Oval Frame Pool Set : Patio, Lawn Garden) or an Intex metal frame pool (like this: Amazon.com : Intex 18 Garden) on top. Fill. Swim, and keep clean for the two months of summer that we have up here. Come mid-August, drain, dry, and pack away. Live with the fact that there is a giant patch of dead grass in the yard (we live in the country, who cares). In a month, it will be covered with leaves anyway. Wait for snow. Live with snow for a long time. Then repeat.

Crazy? Workable? I have very limited storage in our barn, but lots and lots of land. I just don't like the idea of building a permanent patio in the middle of our yard. We had one a few years back for my hammock (hubby thought it would be sweet) but by the time black fly season hit, we found we never used it, and it sits there, falling apart, to this day. I plan to rehab that patio to edge my gardens :)

Other ways to have a truly temporary above ground pool that is 42" deep or deeper? I'd like to actually swim around a little.

The Intex Easy Set is a viable option, although I would suggest upgrading the filtration to one of their sand filters for about $110 (about $125 with sand). You probably want to consider a solar cover and maybe a temporary solar pool heater like Amazon.com : SmartPool SunHeater-Solar Heating System : Swimming Pool Solar Heaters : Patio, Lawn Garden to maximize the swim season. As to that fairly level part, you need VERY level ground to safely install even an Easy-Set pool, that means level within about an inch from one side to the other.

We had a intex metal frame pool, it lasted two seasons before we finally upgraded to a larger more permanent pool. When we took it down we gave it to a friend, who used it for a season and then gave it to another friend. So it's been taken up and down several times and is till holding together well. I went through two pumps, but they are inexpensive. Just we sure you make sure things are completely clean and dry before packing away for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.