Junction box for spa light requirements.

Underwater Man

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
Our pool was remodeled in 2007. When they put in the electrical for the spa light, they did not use a junction box, as the old spa had, but ran conduit a long twisting route from spa to controller. We had to replace the Polaris EOS Command Center and thought while we were at it we'd upgrade the lights. We're using a different pool contractor, and they were able to pull the old light and wiring out, but cannot pull the new wire through the long conduit run. Any suggestions... some type of lubricant even though the conduit is full of water? They are looking at having to tunnel under the deck to the spa light, (something I really want to avoid) then install a new junction box, Does code require use of a junction box? Thanks.

The code does not specifically require the use of a junction box. However, if you do not have a junction box the box ("enclosure" in code terms) you terminate the light cord at must meet all the requirements of a junction box as described in NEC 680.24. All the requirements.

I'm a big fan of junction boxes. Properly used they result in shorter runs for the light cord and make it much easier to replace the light fixture.

Because you don't know where the conduit runs its going to be hard to get the cord through the run. But if you know where the conduit comes out from under the deck and its more than five feet from the pool, I would add a junction box. (You have to plug the conduit first to avoid draining the pool). It might not fit your decorating scheme but it will be MUCH better than what you have.

I suggest using a nonmetalic fish tape from the pool to the box. But first use a fish tape to get a bunch of lube in from the box.

Don't use fish tape to actually pull it -- get some strong cord. Take it slow and make sure your pulling crew is young. Make them down one beer prior and have more cold beer nearby.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.