Newbie here, Chemicals ready where do I begin.

Jun 20, 2016
Orlando, FL
Hello all,

Just bought a house with a pool and I'm ready to learn.

I had my local Pinch a Penny to do a Chemical test until I can get a proper testing kit myself.
My Levels are:
Total Chlorine=0.0ppm
Free Chlorine=0.0ppm
Combined Chlorine=0.0ppm
pH=8.0
Acid Demand=2
Total Alkalinity= 80ppm
Calcium Hardness=180ppm
Stabilizer=20ppm
Total Dissolved Solids=600ppm

They had me buy with these directions.
Stabilizer (1.6lbs)
Calcium Hardness(7.2lbs)
Hydrochloric Acid(1.5cups)
Chlorinating tablets(ALOT)

I'm not quite sure on the order in which to add and where I go after i finish this round.

Thanks alot for the advice

Hi, welcome to TFP! I would return the tablets. You have a pretty small pool and loading it up with tablets will raise your stabilizer (CYA) too high fairly quickly. Once the CYA is around 30ppm, just use liquid bleach for your chlorine. It will not add additional CYA to the pool like dichlor and trichlor will. Only add 1/2 the amount of CYA they recommend. For your small pool 1.6 lbs will add 25ppm of CYA for a total of 45 ppm. That is close the top of the recommended level of CYA. It is best to start around 30ppm and then add a little more if needed. Bring your pH down to around 7.2, but keep in mind this will also bring down the TA. Keep the TA at 70 or above. If you need to raise the TA back up after lowering pH use baking soda. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html will show you how much of each chemical you need to add.

The order is pH first, then chlorine, then calcium. You don't have to wait very long between chemical additions. Maybe 10 minutes with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.