Need inground portable light suggestion

Jun 20, 2016
I have a 25,000 gallon inground gunite pool, kidney shaped. There is only one pool light on the deep end. The shallow end is too dark for nighttime swimming.

Looking into portable LED lights because wiring to add real light is too costly.
Any suggestions on what kind of portable light to add? Some of the magnetic ones seem to leak water inside the enclosure instantly thereby breaking the light. And not sure how well floating lights perform.

I rather doubt you will be happy with most of the floating lights. Make that ALL of the floating lights.

So look at this:

Amazon.com : Smart Pool Mulitcolored Nightlighter for Above Ground Pools : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Patio, Lawn Garden

Ok its for Intex above ground pools. But it should work. You also have a cord on the deck. You may have to macGyver a way to hang it off the edge.

Yikes! $80 for a light that may still leak water into and have to figure out how to overhang. Can't believe no one is selling better solutions for quickly and cheaply adding lights to inground pools.

My wife got the lights with the magnets for Intex pools from WalMart. We hang them in mesh bags weighed down with small river stones. Ours is an above ground and we have the bags' straps run through the coping clips. A permanent install in an in ground won't look good, but you can easily drop one or two in when you want to swim at night.

My wife got the lights with the magnets for Intex pools from WalMart. We hang them in mesh bags weighed down with small river stones. Ours is an above ground and we have the bags' straps run through the coping clips. A permanent install in an in ground won't look good, but you can easily drop one or two in when you want to swim at night.

You mean the magnetic round lights with batteries? I read they leak water into the battery compartment easily and breaks it. Some have actually put them in ziploc bags before submerging in water. You haven't had any issues?

You mean the magnetic round lights with batteries? I read they leak water into the battery compartment easily and breaks it. Some have actually put them in ziploc bags before submerging in water. You haven't had any issues?

We got the "GAME Remote control LED pool wall light" and yes, they're cheap. We just goop the seal with vaseline and it seals perfectly and you shouldn't have to open it to change batteries unless you're leaving it on all the time anyway. So while it's not perfect and it takes a bit of thought... once, it sure beats paying top dollar or hard wiring something!

Yikes! $80 for a light that may still leak water into and have to figure out how to overhang. Can't believe no one is selling better solutions for quickly and cheaply adding lights to inground pools.

Inground pools by definition involve planning and usually include sufficient lighting so there's not a huge market for add-on lights. I have a kidney shaped pool with roughly the same capacity and a single light at the deep end. The light is plenty powerful enough to illuminate the entire pool. Are you sure there's no problem with your existing light? Have you looked into upgrading the lamp? Alternately, are you near the house and can you exterior flood lighting? My pool is about 12' from the back of the house and we have 2 old-style floodlight enclosures. I replaced the old floods with newer LEDs and it seems like it's 5 times brighter outside now.

Inground pools by definition involve planning and usually include sufficient lighting so there's not a huge market for add-on lights. I have a kidney shaped pool with roughly the same capacity and a single light at the deep end. The light is plenty powerful enough to illuminate the entire pool. Are you sure there's no problem with your existing light? Have you looked into upgrading the lamp? Alternately, are you near the house and can you exterior flood lighting? My pool is about 12' from the back of the house and we have 2 old-style floodlight enclosures. I replaced the old floods with newer LEDs and it seems like it's 5 times brighter outside now.

Here's a picture of my pool. I only have one light in the deep end and it doesn't light up far enough into the two shallow ends. I do have an exterior flood light, regular bulbs. What LED floodlights did you buy? I would like to try them to see if they are brighter.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 64
When we bought our house the pool having no lights at all was a bit of a bummer. However, we did have a floodlight fixture of two bulbs each roughly at either end and found they did pretty well. VERY old and rusty and the fixture was ugly so I replaced the fixtures and also got the highest wattage dimmable LED floods Lowes had and changed the switch to a slide dimmer. The bulbs are daylight spectrum as well. We now rarely turn them up to even 50% and with them reaimed to be mostly at the pool it lights it up like daytime and spillover light enough for the rest of the enclosure as well without being over bearing. For sure at least give them a shot. Cheaper on the electric bill as well :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.