Shock advice

Hypno

Jun 20, 2016
Orange County, CA
Greetings everyone,

I started taking care of my ancient plaster pool about a month ago, and according to my test kit it's time for the pool to be shocked. I've never done this before, but according to http://www.freepoolcalculator.com I need to add about 240 fl. oz. of 8.25% bleach in order to shock the pool...

I know that many chemicals shouldn't be added to the water all at once, but is this true for bleach when shocking the pool? Put differently, should I add all 240 oz. of bleach at the same time?

Thanks, and sorry for the noob question!!

Hi, welcome to TFP! The whole point of applying a "shock" to the pool was to have a rapid increase in FC, so normally you would put in all the chlorine that was required to raise the FC to shock levels at one time. Whether or not 240 ounces is right for your pool or not I can't say without a complete set of test results, or at least knowing what your current CYA level is.

I have some recommended reading for you:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

We also have a free pool calculator, PoolMath . It will tell you how much of each chemical you need to add based on your test results, and there is a feature at the bottom, Effects of adding chemicals, that will show you how adding chemicals will change the water chemistry.

Thanks for the responses! I'm using the LaMotte ColorQ Pro test kit, which tells me that the free chlorine is 4.8 and the total chlorine is 6.7, hence my belief that a shock would be appropriate. With CYA at 35, the shock requirements tool at freepoolcalculator.com suggests that I add 243 oz. of 8.25% bleach (which I can get at Target). From what I can tell, the PoolMath tool suggests that I should target a free chlorine level of about 14 when shocking the pool, given my current chemical levels. The PoolMath tool also tells me that adding 243 oz. of 8.25% bleach will raise my free chlorine by 9.2, and since 9.2 + 4.8 = 14, it seems that both the freepoolcalculator.com and PoolMath tools are giving me the same advice.

At least now I now that I should add all of the bleach at the same time! :p

You do need a SLAM according to protocol around here. Follow the directions and you'll be on your way. I'm not sure how well regarded your test kit is I'll let others comment on that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.