Hayward Power-Pro Matrix Pump Problem

May 15, 2009
I believe my pump is cavitating.

I have a clear strainer cover on my pump, so I can see what is going on in the strainer assembly.

When I remove the strainer cover it fills up with water, and will over flow. When I replace the cover there is only a small air space in the pump. Then after I run it for a few minutes the water level drops back down, and only fills the strainer assembly half way.

Also, my filter is only showing 4 psi, and it should read at least 5 psi per the new running reading last season.

I have replaced all of the o-rings and checked for a good seal, but air is still getting in there somehow.

Any suggestions?

That isn't cavitating. Cavitation makes a loud noise and no air accumulates in the pump.

That is air getting into the pump, either from a leak or from the skimmer or from the strainer basket lid. Check that the water is high enough in the skimmer to be sure air isn't being drawn in through a vortex. You can also try spraying water on various pipes to see if the air in the pump disappears. If the air in the pump disappears with spraying water on a pipe you have found where the leak is.

I have the same pump, and the seal between the lid and the pump is horrible.

You need to bolt the pump down if its not already (youll need to put a lot of torque on the lid).

Here is what I did to fix the exact same problem:

Take the lid off, pull out the rubber o-ring that goes all the way around. Run a bead of some kind of gasket lube/seal in the hole where the o-ring was. Put the o-ring back in and push it down into the lube. Run another bead on top of the o-ring.

When you put the cover on, put some torque into it and turn it on good.

Stopped my pump from sucking in air like it sounds like yours is doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.