Post RO treatment and CH question

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
I'm happy to report that my "new" pool is now properly balanced, or at least ALMOST there. I purchased this older home about a month ago and had CH and CYA levels off the charts. Due to the drought here in Southern Cali, I wasn't allowed to drain or refill my pool. I suppose i could've done it gradually, but it might've taken me over a year.

These are my BEFORE numbers

FC 15
Ph 8.2
CC 0.5
TA 320
CYA 180
CH 1,125

and now... after RO treatment ($500 later)

FC 5
Ph 7.4
CC 0.2
TA 70
CYA 40
CH 150

The water is now sparkling clear and I couldn't be happier.

So.. should I adjust the CH level as poolmath says its 100 below the minimum goal? The RO guy told me to leave it alone as my tap water is high in CH.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure other folks from CA and those who can't drain and refill will appreciate the information you shared.

I would plug your #s into Pool Math and determine your CSI. If your CSI doesn't say corrosive, I would leave it be and it will rise naturally as you add water from evaporation. I've plugged your #s into pool math, but you need to learn this :)

Your CSI is pretty good, it's above -0.6 but close. I would certainly allow the pH to live in the 7.6 and 7.8 range and only lower your pH to as low as 7.4 when the pH creeps above 7.8. No sense trying to raise pH chemically now, it should creep up a little over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.