Phosphates?

kenny

May 22, 2009
Florida
Hello,

New to this site. My pool store told me all my numbers look good except for the phospates are high. Is this really a concern or are they just trying to sell me more chemical?

14000 gallon inground
salt generator I/C40
pebbletech
FC5
PH8.0 (just added 3 cups of acid)
TA80
CA150
CYA 50
salt 3400
phosphates 1000 ????

Thanks,

Kenny

Hi, Kenny,

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of nice people here.

Phosphates are virtually irrelevant in a pool. Disregard that advice.

I know you didn't ask but check that pH again soon. 3 cups may not move it much and it would be ideal around 7.4-7.6

While I'm being a nag, most gunite pools do well with CH up around 250-350. 200-400 is acceptable, too, so just suggesting a middle range.

kenny said:
Thanks for your input. I figured it was a scam trying to sell me some chemicals. I'll also retest the PH to see how it moves.

Kenny
As someone who has worked in the retail end of the business I can tell you that you are exactly right that it is a scam designed to sell you chemicals (when the phosphate remover clouds the water they can sell you the clarifier, when that gunks up the filter they can sell you the filter cleaner, when the copper based algaecide they like to sell in conjunction with the phosphate remover stains the pool they can sell you a stain remover and a seqesterant and when the sequesterant causes your phosphate levels to rise again the whole process can start over! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.