Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Phosphates?

1. Back To Top    #1

Phosphates?

Hello,

New to this site. My pool store told me all my numbers look good except for the phospates are high. Is this really a concern or are they just trying to sell me more chemical?

14000 gallon inground
    salt generator I/C40
    pebbletech
    FC5
    PH8.0 (just added 3 cups of acid)
    TA80
    CA150
    CYA 50
    salt 3400
    phosphates 1000 ????

Thanks,

Kenny
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Phosphates?

Hi, Kenny,

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of nice people here.

Phosphates are virtually irrelevant in a pool. Disregard that advice.

I know you didn't ask but check that pH again soon. 3 cups may not move it much and it would be ideal around 7.4-7.6

While I'm being a nag, most gunite pools do well with CH up around 250-350. 200-400 is acceptable, too, so just suggesting a middle range.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your input. I figured it was a scam trying to sell me some chemicals. I'll also retest the PH to see how it moves.

Kenny
    14,275 gallon inground ~ Pentair Cartridge cc200 ~ Pebbletec Tahoe Blue ~ SWG Intellichlor IC40 ~ Pentair Whisper 2hp ~ Taylor FAS-DPD Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kenny
    Thanks for your input. I figured it was a scam trying to sell me some chemicals. I'll also retest the PH to see how it moves.

Kenny
    As someone who has worked in the retail end of the business I can tell you that you are exactly right that it is a scam designed to sell you chemicals (when the phosphate remover clouds the water they can sell you the clarifier, when that gunks up the filter they can sell you the filter cleaner, when the copper based algaecide they like to sell in conjunction with the phosphate remover stains the pool they can sell you a stain remover and a seqesterant and when the sequesterant causes your phosphate levels to rise again the whole process can start over! )