Filter Help?

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
I have a Sta-Rite System:3 PLD50 DE filter 30 sq ft. It's like a big egg shaped thing that comes apart in the middle. Last year it was really hard to put back together. This year it's just not going back together. I've replaced the gasket. I've used the proper lube. I've put all my weight onto it. My wife and I have double-teamed it. It just doesn't work. I think it's seated properly but when I turn on the pump water just pours out in places all around the seam. So I take it apart and try again. Hours wasted. So maybe there's some technique I should be trying?

If not, I'm guessing I need to buy a new filter. But we've had all sorts of other problems with this one in the past on top of what I just described. But I'll describe those later. I'm a complete non-pool person, so I might not be describing this well.

Any suggestions?

Thank you! Neither of the descriptions in the articles match what we have to do to clean this beast. There's no backwash option on this, nor any kind of bump option. We have to take it apart, hose down the filter, reassemble, start the pump and add a few lbs of DE at least once a week during algae season, and less frequently after that. On a good day it takes 20 minutes and your sneakers get soaked with an algae/DE slurry. It sounds like a different filter might have some better options and might be a good investment.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate that. Last year I paid the 60 bucks it takes to get them to do a house call. And they got it put back together. But I can't pay 60 bucks every week or two.

- - - Updated - - -

[h=2]Several, but always silicone based. Hayward Lube recently. Comes in a tube.[/h]

From the looks of it I'd guess the gasket is moving out of place. I haven't seen one like it before. The photo shows the lid screws down. Is there a groove or something that's supposed to position the gasket when you screw down the top ??

"assuming you have the right gasket." - Brilliant... that's the kind of thinking I needed. Thanks, It shouldn't be, but maybe it is the wrong gasket. There's no way to know. So I've just ordered what appears to be the correct part. I'll check back in when that arrives.

Yes, the two halves nest, the gasket is supposed to fit between them, there's an indentation in both halves where the gasket fits. And then there is a ring that screws down and tightens the assembly locking the two halves in place. I'll just order a new gasket and see if that fixes anything. That's a lot cheaper than a whole new filter unit.

Wow, this filter is a combo of cartridge and DE. Seems like a pain to clean. If possible, I suggest adding a multiport valve so that you can backwash. I love my DE filter.

There is no such thing as algae bloom season. Algae grows when your FC is too low for your CYA level. The methods taught on this forum eliminates the possibility of algae if you follow the methods here.

Here is a link to parts manual for the model you listed: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/S339CEngOM.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the filter diagram. I think I have the right replacement o-ring on order. I have never understood FC. I keep the chlorine float filled with pellets at all times, but chlorine still stays low. We bring the water in to have it tested a couple times a month when it's green, and they tell us the chemicals levels are good, but they tell us the chlorine is low. Maybe I just need to try using a few floats instead of just one. But we'll get to the green topic once the filter is running again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool store in the business of getting money out of your wallet. Order one of the recommended test kits ASAP. The TF-100 is the most economical and you'll need the XL option since you have green water. TFTestkits.net

While waiting for your kit, read up on pool school and add 1 jug of 8.25% of bleach a day. Wal-Mart great value is an economical and usually convenient option. Post up your first results from your kit and we'll help you from there.

Just to close this thread - There was definitely something wrong with the 20 year old PLD50 Filter. It might have gone out of round or something else, but nobody could get the filter back together by the end of last season. We took it to the town dump and bought a new Sta-Rite, and it goes together and comes apart effortlessly, just like I remember the old filter working several years back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.