Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Ive read that the s300 doesnt clean the tile very well (cleans some but inconsistent. I was wondering if the s300i had the same problem

Source??

My S300i does a great job on the tile line. In Standard clean mode it does 80% floor, 20% wall (as a fraction of the total cleaning time). When it climbs the wall, it cleans about 2-3ft worth of tile perimeter before dropping back down. If I use my phone app to access the advanced features, I can run a Tile-line Only clean and it will clean the entire pool perimeter. It even scrubs the rocks in my waterfall that are below the water line.

Works great on my tile to clean off waterline debris but it does not remove calcium scale as that requires chemical removal.

I have a 300 , but if I were to do it again, I would go with the 200 with less options (and less $$$) or the 300i for the full options. The 300 sits awkwardly in between both of them .
The Bluetooth remote for the 300 only lets you remote control the robot . There are NO options to control the cleaning cycles , it just tells you which one its running in . It does have some other info available on the app for the 300 , but mostly the factory manual , on/off and the remote control .
The 300 DOES NOT have a waterline cleaning ONLY option .
The 300 DOES do the waterline fairly well . Like the 200/300i , it does it in 2'-3' sections at a time.
The 300 ONLY has 2 cleaning modes . 1 of them is for 2 hours and does the floor , and the waterline . The other one is a quick clean and ONLY does the floor for 1 hour.
I generally use the quick clean option as I have a vinyl liner pool , and dont need the water line cleaning too much . Because of that , I am stuck with a 1 hour cleaning and have to reset it at least once, sometimes twice. It does a very good job , but a 2 hour cycle for the floor only would have been nice (come-on Maytronics !) .
I blame Maytronics for the lack of proper advertising, in that there is NO way to find out what each of these models actually does !!! How the heck are you supposed to compare models to see what features you want, if they DONT LIST THEM ..........ANYWHERE ???!!!?!!?
The remote control feature on the Dolphin app is kind of quirky to use and hard to get "aimed" correctly and takes a lot of time to get the robot where you want it.

I just wished I could have known more about what features each of these Dolphin models had before I purchased so I could have made a more thorough educated decision ! Again, I blame Maytronics for this lack of advertising the features there product incorporates ...........its maddening !!!

If I had know what options each model had , I would have probably spent MORE $$$ and got the 300i over the 300 . SO what good does it help for Maytronics to withhold that important information ???

In my opinion , most pool owners would find the 200 would be perfectly suited for most pool robot duties . I should have saved some $$$ and went with the 200 (or the Discovery, the 200's twin sister ). ONLY if you need the quirky remote option with the app , and the dual filter baskets should someone pick the 300 over the 200 . The 300i if the fully featured model that has all the options , that they cut out of the 300 .

JMHO ...........

Pooldv, question for you, you stated that your robot works well under your solar blanket. Later, you discussed that it cleans the tile line/water line without problems. How does it do this when it encounters the edge of the solar blanket? Is there a risk that it can pull the edge of the solar blanket into the cleaner? Or, is there a chance it goes so high up the tile line that it can then fall back onto the top of the solar blanket?

Also, I found a narrower spot on my pool deck that I could run the cable. And, 2 other spots on my pool deck that would be even narrower and have less cord exposed. But, those 2 would require an electrician to install an outlet as there is power access/cable (cords whatever you call it) available at these spots. What do others do that are running a weekly program with their robot cleaner? Do you use electrical tape, duct tape, or some sort of fastening system to secure the cord to your deck to reduce the tripping hazard?

Thanks. What do you mean "cover sits on top of the cover?" May be I ought to watch a video of how it performs when it hits the waterline/tile line. Does it back straight down, or does it turn 180 degrees and go back down?

I have a 300 , but if I were to do it again, I would go with the 200 with less options (and less $$$) or the 300i for the full options. The 300 sits awkwardly in between both of them .
The Bluetooth remote for the 300 only lets you remote control the robot . There are NO options to control the cleaning cycles , it just tells you which one its running in . It does have some other info available on the app for the 300 , but mostly the factory manual , on/off and the remote control .
The 300 DOES NOT have a waterline cleaning ONLY option .
The 300 DOES do the waterline fairly well . Like the 200/300i , it does it in 2'-3' sections at a time.
The 300 ONLY has 2 cleaning modes . 1 of them is for 2 hours and does the floor , and the waterline . The other one is a quick clean and ONLY does the floor for 1 hour.
I generally use the quick clean option as I have a vinyl liner pool , and dont need the water line cleaning too much . Because of that , I am stuck with a 1 hour cleaning and have to reset it at least once, sometimes twice. It does a very good job , but a 2 hour cycle for the floor only would have been nice (come-on Maytronics !) .
I blame Maytronics for the lack of proper advertising, in that there is NO way to find out what each of these models actually does !!! How the heck are you supposed to compare models to see what features you want, if they DONT LIST THEM ..........ANYWHERE ???!!!?!!?
The remote control feature on the Dolphin app is kind of quirky to use and hard to get "aimed" correctly and takes a lot of time to get the robot where you want it.

I just wished I could have known more about what features each of these Dolphin models had before I purchased so I could have made a more thorough educated decision ! Again, I blame Maytronics for this lack of advertising the features there product incorporates ...........its maddening !!!

If I had know what options each model had , I would have probably spent MORE $$$ and got the 300i over the 300 . SO what good does it help for Maytronics to withhold that important information ???

In my opinion , most pool owners would find the 200 would be perfectly suited for most pool robot duties . I should have saved some $$$ and went with the 200 (or the Discovery, the 200's twin sister ). ONLY if you need the quirky remote option with the app , and the dual filter baskets should someone pick the 300 over the 200 . The 300i if the fully featured model that has all the options , that they cut out of the 300 .

JMHO ...........

I hear you, I had to invest some time differentiating all the different models. Wish someone would come up with a master feature/spec sheet comparing all their newer models. Its' puzzling that Maytronics doesn't list all their models on the Dolphin site (Residential Pool Cleaners | Dolphin pool cleaning robot).

You touch on a few of the features that set them apart. Other important options include the warranty period, weekly programming, basket type (top vs bottom load), handle type (fixed vs movable), with or without a cart, and of course color.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i just pulled the trigger on the s300i for $899 with a caddy. Wow what a great price. I called a distributor in my area and he wanted $1500.

Now i just have to wait for my pool renovation to be done to use it.

Thats a great price for a 300i.
I purchased a 300 , just before everyone started using Marina as the go-to Dolphin Seller . Did you also buy from Marina ?
I paid $799 for a 300 with free shipping .........and no Caddy . Refurbished with only a 1 year warranty from Pool Partz . At the time , It seemed like the best deal . It was only about a week later that I heard about Marina !!! Doh ! :oops::pale:

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone who is considering what model to go with ..............
Here are some screen shots of the App / Bluetooth options for a 300 . (not i) . Its pretty meager . All I wanted was the remote feature , but now wished I would have gone with the 300i instead (or saved a bunch of money and went for a 200 , but I really did want the remote control ) :-(
The remote control does come in handy ....... just used it actually . Seems like the "tilt mode" is the easiest to control . Takes some practice, but after a while, I can now get it where I want pretty fast .

These are ALL the option you get with a 300 (using the app / bluetooth)!
Note : you can not control the cleaning cycles (or timer) with the APP , the screen shot is just showing what mode its in after its manually adjusted with the control box.
The 300 does have 2 cleaning options, and timer options /delay that are controlled via the control unit.

Maybe JoyfulNoise can post some screen shots of what the 300i app/bluetooth options look like :poke:

You don't know what you're missing....you'll be amazed at the gunk that washes off of them!

And they are very easy to clean....

+1 to infinity on this. Danny!! I don't always even pop out the pleated panels. I just rinse and throw the basket back in the body.

You and Denise are all about those pleated filters! :)
Yes, yes I am! It's this Oklahoma dirt! My pool looks super clean but then I pull Wall-E's basket after a couple days and you would think I had a pile of mud in the pool. It really is disgusting the amount of dirt I hose off.

Dude, they take like 4 secs to pop into place...it's really not that big a lift....

You GOTTA try it JUST ONCE!! I'm dying to know if you see any difference in the amount of dirt your little buddy picks up. I don't see NEARLY the same amount of dirt in my mesh filters as I do in my fine pleated ones.

Re:  Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Just joined the club and placed the order for the Doheny's Discovery. My wife said yesterday "are we going to get a cleaner?" I said yes, next year. And she said why wait? Well okay, I won't... a great father's day surprise. :)

I bought mine solely based on color. It made he decision soooo much easier. [emoji87]Here he is resting.

d662fa36b2243882ba700549f87c7891.jpg

Good example of why the caddy isn't always necessary.

HI- I recently purchased the Discovery...fine cleaner, but seems to get hung up on the deep end main drain...Has that happened to anyone? called Maytronics...told them the exact cleaner i had...and yes, they sent me the impeller cover for a very different model...
Any input would be appreciated...

No assistance to offer but just to say what my A20 (same fella) does. I have Hayward main drains. They are round and rounded. Earl does spend a bit of time visiting them if he approaches just right and high centers himself. Then he runs the tracks in one direction for about 30 seconds, then the same in reverse, with no effect. Then he puts on his vectoring thrusters and works his way off of it.

Separately, about 15% of runs he does end up on his back on a bench. When my son sees that he says "you spent $500 on that?" I smile and say, yeah, great price huh? Only half kidding.

I've had had my A20 for 2 weeks now and it seems my power supply is buggered up! It trips the GFCI as soon as it's plugged in. The lights on the front flash for a few seconds after the GFCI trips. I haven't tried it in a non GFCI outlet yet. I called Maytronics support but they don't take calls between 11:30 am and 12:45 pm.
Has anyone else run into this issue?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.