Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Sounds like the motor is going bad. If you have an authorized service center nearby, they can repair it. A new motor runs about $300-$400 plus labor to install. If you call Dolphin they can tell where the nearest service center is but shipping costs can add another $50 or so to the costs.

I think you may be right. The weird thing is last night I got it to work for the first time in about 3 weeks. It ran perfectly for two cycles. Then, I went home for lunch today and tried running it again and it was back to not working.

You can open up the top of the motor housing by just undoing two screws. Check that the impeller is clear of any hair or debris that might keep it from freely moving. On startup, the cleaner does a motor/systems check and if the unit senses a large power draw it shuts down. Sometimes a clogged impeller can cause the motor to become restricted and that looks like a big power draw. If everything is visually clear and moves freely, then your motor is probably starting to go. A motor replacement is cheaper than a new robot so I’d look into that.

I have so far been happy with my Dolphin S200 that I bought 6 months ago but recently with all the trees around us dropping leaves, the leaves are getting stuck at the bottom of the basket inside the fabric one-way opening. After a full 3 hour run I take out the cleaner, open the basket, it is almost empty and tons of leaves are wedged into the fabric one-way opening that I have to pull out with my hands. I emptied it out, put the cleaner in again, let it run for 10 minutes and checked, same thing again.

Anybody else have this experience? Any ideas on how to resolve this?

By the way: my front wheel rubber is already coming loose. Does anybody know if they will cover this under warranty after 6 months?

(pics will follow in next post)

Pictures from my phone...
bb8190f2792483f704ccd3189f3c58cb.jpg
b8cee5692cdbc495b02173d68a2ee250.jpg
15157d37098778f6bb16da668e138471.jpg

Have you tried using the mesh filter panels instead of the pleated filters when see many leaves and large debris on the bottom? I have had no issues with heavy leaves on the pool bottom but I do switch out the filter panels prior. Perhaps it allows more flow not sure. The roller rubber issue is no good, looks like the attachment nubs have torn out. Replaceable but after only six months somethings amiss. Does the unit stay in the water full time?

I have the same problem with leaves on my S300. It didn't start until the trees started dropping leaves, but I have to take it out of the pool and remove leaves about three times to keep it working well. It will still drive around the pool fine, but it doesn't pick much up. This happened with both the mesh and the pleated filters.

Have you tried using the mesh filter panels instead of the pleated filters when see many leaves and large debris on the bottom? I have had no issues with heavy leaves on the pool bottom but I do switch out the filter panels prior. Perhaps it allows more flow not sure. The roller rubber issue is no good, looks like the attachment nubs have torn out. Replaceable but after only six months somethings amiss. Does the unit stay in the water full time?

Yes I keep the cleaner mostly in the water.

I ended up getting the multi-level basket. So I always have the pleated filters in and the mesh filter is then inserted into the pleated area.
filters_jump_multi.png

I have the same problem with leaves on my S300. It didn't start until the trees started dropping leaves, but I have to take it out of the pool and remove leaves about three times to keep it working well. It will still drive around the pool fine, but it doesn't pick much up. This happened with both the mesh and the pleated filters.

Yeah that's exactly what mine does. The only thing that helps is to use a manual pool vacuum and get most of the leaves out manually and then let the pool cleaner get the remaining leaves. This is not what I had in mind when I purchased this. With the Pressure Side Polaris I have never had such issues.

Definitely not my experience. I had really full (and heavy) baskets with my S300, to the point where there were leaves sticking out of the bottom because there wasn't any more room internally.

Yes I keep the cleaner mostly in the water.

I ended up getting the multi-level basket. So I always have the pleated filters in and the mesh filter is then inserted into the pleated area.

My unit shipped with the pleated filter panels and also mesh panels and they are interchangeable so I only use the mesh for large bottom debris day. I bought the mesh basket and use that inside the pleated panels most of the time.

Definitely not my experience. I had really full (and heavy) baskets with my S300, to the point where there were leaves sticking out of the bottom because there wasn't any more room internally.

Oh it doesn't do this from the onset of cleaning; the basket does get pretty full and heavy. However, it does get leaves stuck when there is about 1/4 more room in the basket to the point where it doesn't suck up anything else. I still think it does a very, very good job cleaning the pool. But when there are a lot of leaves, I have to use the net to try to scoop a lot out or else I am stuck yanking the bot out every 45 minutes and emptying it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not exactly a robot fix, but when there's a lot of leaves (certain times of year, or after a big storm) I grab the bigger leaves with the leaf rake (aka leaf shovel). I don't think it costs me any time because it reduces robot emptying.

Great post! My S200 seems to have the same issue with leaves plus I don't think it likes the colder water...

Doheny has the Discovery for $749 currently. Is that a good price? And also, my pool is still under construction and is going to be finished in about 4 weeks. Should I wait, or snap up this model at this price?

Well, I paid $799 at Doheny, so I'd say it is a good price as long as shipping is free too?

Maddie :flower:

Many happy Discovery owners on this thread and $749 is a good deal. Can you confirm it’s model age? Is it a 2018 unit or a 2017 unit? I don’t think there’s much difference but I hate to pay that much for old stock....

Don't know the vintage of the cleaner. I'll ask Doheny and see if they know.

I was going to get a Triton, then discovered through my research that the Discovery and the Triton are essentially the same, just the Triton seems to sport Amazon.com's colors (coincidence? I think not)

I too am having an issue with my Active 20 very quickly clogging with leaves. The non-return flap seems rather poorly designed in that it gets clogged with only a few leaves and stops the flow of water into the basket. I have resorted to removing the flap for leaves, then putting it back on after leaves are removed. Sort of a pain to have to do that. Is there a better design or a hack we can do to the flap to prevent the leaf clogging issue?

Also, anyone know the part number for a replacement non-return flap? It is the cloth 'bag' that covers the bottom inlet opening in the cleaner basket.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.